Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

painful letdown reflex

(18 Posts)
janx Mon 21-Mar-05 18:57:06

I am having pretty painful letdown reflex at the moment - sometimes it feels like my breast is going to explode! Anyone else had this? any advice? It seems to be one breast more than another and does not seem to follow a pattern as to the time of day

LittleRedRidingHood Mon 21-Mar-05 19:04:22

Hi Janx - I had this problem too - sometimes it was really painful - always much worse in the right one and whilst barely noticeable with my first - it was horrid with my second - It did get better though - I think dd was about 3months when it stopped - I have no advice though!!!!!!! HAng in there!

hermykne Mon 21-Mar-05 19:05:03

janx how long does it last? i get it and it can be quite sore, pressurizing on the lymphs whatever they are feel like they are bulging , but it passes quite soon

janx Mon 21-Mar-05 19:08:20

Thanks for replies hermykne and LRRH - the pain lasts about 5 mins and then goes - my dd is 6 months so not new to bf - I just wandered if I had a blockage somewhere

hermykne Mon 21-Mar-05 19:13:19

janx, my ds is nearly 8mths and i still get it so i too wondered there must be something wrong but i think it can just stay with certain people thru out breastfeeding

Hayls Mon 21-Mar-05 19:35:05

My dd is 14 months and I still get it when I'm quite full (mainly in the mornings) If it si really painful you should probably ask your gp or hv as like you say it could be a blockage. If one side is worse does it help to feed from that one first?
FWIW, I used to get it lots more than I do now and IIRC, it was worst when we were on holiday when dd was about 6 1/2 months

NotQuiteCockney Mon 21-Mar-05 20:08:44

I get painful letdown, but it's generally pretty quick, and only on letdown. Feels like someone's poking my nipples with a pin. It was worst when the DSes were tiny, and now, with DS2 at 6 months, it's pretty faint.

Are you sure it's not thrush, or anything else nasty? (It probably is just painful letdown, but best to eliminate anything fixable before deciding that!)

Lonelymum Mon 21-Mar-05 20:27:58

I had suspected thrush when I was first b/f dd and the pain was at its most acute when she first started feeding so that could be described as painful letdown. Could you get checked for thrush just in case that is the problem? You don't have to stop feeding if it is. I had a cream for my nipples and dd had to take some oral medicine (just a drop or two).

vicdubya Mon 21-Mar-05 20:31:31

I had this and the pain was not around the nipple it was inside my boob IYSWIM, and only on one side.

It seemed to ease off after 2-3 months but I still sometimes get it if ds is sucking really hard on one side, I get it on the other!

I guess it's something to do with anatomy?!

Lonelymum Mon 21-Mar-05 20:34:22

My pain wasn't in the nipple either but sort of behind it. Still think it might be thrush.

janx Tue 22-Mar-05 13:08:46

Thrush had not crossed my mind - never had it...the pain isn't in the nipple but in my breast - will book dr appt - thanks for replies

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Mar-05 13:32:21

janx, I'm afraid lots of GPs aren't great on thrush - if you don't have any luck with yours, tiktok or mears should be able to help you figure out symptoms.

Lonelymum Tue 22-Mar-05 16:44:12

To be honest, the doctor I saw wasn't sure I had thrush but suggested I had the treatment for it "just in case". I was in such pain that I was ready to try anything. I then moved whilst still on the treatment so I wasn't seen again by the same doctor and HVs but the pain did go away quickly and so I have always assumed I had thrush. If your GP isn't very up on it and you want to try the treatment anyway, perhaps you could suggest it to him/her.

janx Tue 22-Mar-05 20:35:18

who are tiktok and mears?

Laura032004 Tue 22-Mar-05 22:24:18

I think they are NCT bf consultants who come on the boards.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Mar-05 22:29:24

mears is a midwife who really knows BF. tiktok is a bf counsellor - possibly NCT? I'm not sure. At any rate, she's trained and all that.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 23-Mar-05 07:28:54

I've had a look, and found this . The later pages of it get into symptoms. Essentially, they say the symptoms should be after feeds, so this is probably not what they are. Also, look for white patches in your baby's mouth or on his tongue, which don't wipe off.

Sounds like you may just be having letdown pain. Apparently it's quite rare - I say apparently because I suffer, too. It's gotten better lately though (DS2 is 6m), and I'm sure it went away with DS1 by some point.

ghosty Wed 23-Mar-05 07:43:36

I had strong let down pain too ... I started a similar thread somewhere .... I will find it.
I think by about 6 months I just got used to it ...
It was a sharp pain that made me draw breath and lasted a couple of minutes into the feed.
I knew it was let down because I got a similar pain only not as sore when I expressed ... and it came just as the milk came shooting out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now