Talk

Advanced search

Good 'sippy cup' recommendations?

(7 Posts)
CarrieG Sat 19-Mar-05 21:17:11

Ds (7 1/2 months) is breast fed at home & has formula at childminder's. He'll happily use a bottle, but has been less than convinced that the Avent magic cup is the way forward...

HV says he should NOT be drinking from anything he has to suck on (unless it's my boobs, I'm assuming) as this will delay the development of his vocal chords (?really?) - so now trying the magic cup without the valve thingy that stops it spilling, so the milk trickles out.

Result: milk everywhere, & righteously p$ssed off ds with a soaked shirt & terrible wind!

So should I persevere, give up & let him have a teat, or buy a different type of cup?

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 19-Mar-05 21:20:55

The doidy cup is pretty good. I'm not sure where you get them though.

Boots do a good beaker if thats what you want to get.

LIZS Sat 19-Mar-05 21:22:03

Wouldn't use milk as a way of getting him used to it tbh. Try water which he may or may not take to but at least it is less messy and you won't mind whether he takes much of it or not while he learns how to use it. Later on if he is thirsty he will drink it rather than juices. In the emantime let him use a teat iof that is what he is used to and phas eit out as he gets more competent.

btw never heard the one about the vocal chords before but under 1's do find the valved cups hard going.

vicdubya Sat 19-Mar-05 21:28:17

Tommee Tippee cups seem to be popular with breast feeders.

DS took milk or water straight away from them (6 months). Yes it was messy to begin with, make sure he wears a bib, and introduce with water just for practising.

Ds got the hang properly around 8-9 months.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 20-Mar-05 08:35:49

The Tommee Tippee cups (at least some of them), you have to bite down on, to get the fluid to flow, so it isn't something you suck on.

I've never heard about this sucking thing with vocal cords. DS1 still uses AnywayUp Cups, which you have to suck on really hard. No issues with talking. Actually, given they have to suck on boobs, why would sucking cause a problem? Very odd.

ghosty Sun 20-Mar-05 08:42:27

Gosh, don't HVs come out with the wierdest things?

DS drank milk from a bottle until 3 years old and drank juice and water from an AnyWayUp Cup until he was almost 4. Absolutely nothing wrong with his ability to speak ...

It took DD AGES to get the hang of drinking from a sippy cup. She can't get the hang of the Tommee Tippee Easy(NOT)flow cup (the one they bite down on), she can't do the AnyWayUp cup ... but can happily drink from the original Tommee Tippee cup (the one with the spout that flips over) and a Heinz baby basics soft spout cup. She also loves to drink from a sports bottle (water only of course!).
She didn't get into drinking anything that wasn't boob or bottle till she was 12 months.

poppy101 Sun 20-Mar-05 09:01:31

I use a doidy cup, takes patience but most of the drink manages to get into the baby. Can buy doidy cups from NCT Sales.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: