Talk

Advanced search

What age for cows milk!

(13 Posts)
hayleylou Tue 15-Mar-05 13:46:17

How early did you start giving your child cows milk?

welshmum Tue 15-Mar-05 13:52:22

When she was 12 months old.

cat82 Tue 15-Mar-05 14:05:06

Yeah, i believe you can start giving cows milk as a drink from 12months, but it can be used in cooking and on cereal from about 9 months.

Muller Tue 15-Mar-05 21:12:10

Used it in cooking from about 7 months and will give her it to drink when 1 year old.

hayleylou Wed 16-Mar-05 07:48:27

The reason I asked was we are due to go on holiday 2 weeks before she is 1 and wondered if was OK it give it to her then??

NotQuiteCockney Wed 16-Mar-05 07:49:54

Yeah, absolutely. The one year thing isn't a strict strict rule.

skerriesmum Wed 16-Mar-05 07:52:43

Yeah, some parents give it from 10 months or so, mixed with formula first as formula is so sweet, and gradually increasing the milk until it's 100% milk.

Twiglett Wed 16-Mar-05 08:17:30

DD 10 months is on cow's milk now (has been since I stopped BF 2 days ago) but she eats a wide and varied diet and has a calcium containing food at every meal (because she doesn't actually drink much milk probably about 4oz a day)

you can cook with cow's milk from 6 months by the way

for DS I rigidly stuck to the year rule, but DD is a 2nd child and I am not so bothered

Mears put one of hers on cow's milk at 10.5 months too btw

Bozza Wed 16-Mar-05 08:42:18

Wow Twiglett didn't realised you had stopped BF. I'm thinking of packing in my morning one soon as well.

In answer to the q. - I would go for cow's milk on the hols no question. With DS we started him on one cow's milk bottle a day at about 11 months and then two (can't really remember how much milk he was having) but we phased it in gradually and when the pkt of formula ran out a few days before his birthday that was that.

Twiglett Wed 16-Mar-05 08:47:05

she chomped my nipple with her new front teeth (3 nights on the run) and I took it as a sign from God Bozza

must admit I am a bit torn as will probably be last child so last bf and boobs are hard as rocks despite only one small feed a day from each other breast

Bozza Wed 16-Mar-05 15:04:02

Are they really? Was hoping that wouldn't happen this time. DD is on the early morning feed only because she was doing that at night as well. The early morning one is more for my convenience than hers because its usually between 4 and 6 .

hayleylou have we persuaded you its OK?

HUNKERMUNKER Thu 17-Mar-05 19:57:52

Hayleylou, I'd say it's fine too. DS has had a little bit of cow's milk for the last couple of weeks while I'm at work (two days a week, so probably was having about 4oz a week, rest was EBM). I found that even though I was feeding him quite a lot still, the amount I could express had dropped considerably, so decided that he'd have cow's milk when I was at work from last weekend. Still had a bit of EBM in the freezer, so he's had a mixture, but a couple of bottles of straight cow's milk.

He's one in a fortnight - so obviously I'd say that the answer to your question is that it's fine

(Twiglett, sorry to hear of DD's chomping penchant You've done a fanatastic thing, bfeeding her this far - you're fab!)

cocacola Fri 18-Mar-05 14:34:13

My little girl is 11 1/2 months old. I have started to give her cows milk for the last 2 weeks with her formula. We are now down to 2oz of formula and i then make this up to 6oz with cows milk. I give her a bottle for breakfast and supper.
She only drinks about 4-5oz of each bottle.
Im a little worried that she isnt getting enough milk
Do you think ive got any reason to worry?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now