Talk

Advanced search

How can I stop bf if ds won't drink from beaker, cup etc

(4 Posts)
Booklover Tue 15-Mar-05 08:27:52

My ds is now 11 months old and on one bf a day. He gets water with his solids but only takes tiny amounts at the time plus milk from his food (i.e. cereal), yoghurt, cheese and so on. I would really like to stop bf completely but I am worried that he does not get enough milk/liquids. Appreciate all the help I can get as I am starting to get really worried!

Tommy Tue 15-Mar-05 08:30:27

sounds exactly like my DS2 at the same age! I started giving him milk in a beaker at breakfast and mid afternoon and he dranke very little. Eventually though he seemed to get the idea and now (19m) is fine. Didn't take as long as I was worried it would do though. I was worried too especially since his big brother would happily drink a couple of pints of milk a day. Try notto worry about it and keep offering the beaker

Muller Tue 15-Mar-05 21:11:01

My DD is 10 months old, and i offer her a beaker of water every day which she pushes away immediately. She has a bottle of milk for breakfast and a bottle b4 bedtime, would like her to come off the bottle but no chance yet. As she drinks no water i would rather let her have the bottle, as think its too early to start worrying yet

Booklover Wed 16-Mar-05 09:38:18

DS is exactly the same, he pushes the beaker away immediately. I found about these doidy cups on mumsnet (not quite sure about the link at the moment but just put it into google) and ordered one (as far as I know you can only order them online) and he is now drinking water from the cup, which is pretty amazing. Still try to give him the beaker though as this is more handy for when you are out and about and less messy but at least he is getting some fluids. Thanks Tommy, sounds like there is hope

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now