Talk

Advanced search

How long can breast milk be frozen for?

(11 Posts)
hotmama Mon 14-Mar-05 20:55:52

I have some breast milk that was expressed and frozen in November. Is it still O.K. to use?

Not sure if it can be kept for 3 or 6 months feel loathe to chuck it as no longer breastfeeding - but obviously don't want to make dd ill!

Lonelymum Mon 14-Mar-05 20:57:23

I have a feeling it used to be 6 months but current recommendation is now less than that. Someone else will know for sure.

Cristina7 Mon 14-Mar-05 22:39:50

I've read of both 3 and 6 months, I think I'd go with 3 months. Perhaps you could use a small amount and see if it seems OK before deciding whether to use the other or not. Good luck. I know how time-consuming it is expressing the milk, it seems a shame to waste it.

hotmama Mon 14-Mar-05 22:46:14

How do you know if it is O.K? Don't want to run the risk of DD being ill and then realising that I should have chucked it.

Seems such a waste to have to throw it away.

HUNKERMUNKER Mon 14-Mar-05 22:48:42

Mears had a great link - I'm sure it's 6 months. Don't chuck it just yet! I'll try to find the link.

HUNKERMUNKER Mon 14-Mar-05 22:58:09

Can't find Mears' link - but did find this

mears Mon 14-Mar-05 23:00:22

6 months is OK. Do not throw out that liquid gold. I will look for link too.

HUNKERMUNKER Mon 14-Mar-05 23:01:45

Did find a reference to you calling it liquid gold before, Mears TOTALLY agree! If I get home from work and DS has left an ounce I take it very personally

mears Mon 14-Mar-05 23:01:47

link

The link above says 12 months depending on freezer.

hotmama Tue 15-Mar-05 08:25:27

Thanks very much for your advice. I thought it was 6 months but just wasn't sure. I'll start defrosting.

Magscat Wed 13-Apr-05 15:15:10

Don't know if anyone still watching this. Advice I received was definately 3 months when I had my son nearly 4 years ago. New baby now & HV recently told me current advice is now 6 months. She says there has been extensive new research and is confident 6 months is ok. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now