Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Breastfeeding and returning periods

(10 Posts)
PocketTasha Fri 11-Mar-05 21:03:49

Slightly odd question for any of you breastfeeding experts and experienced mums out there about returning periods.

I gave birth to my second son ten weeks ago and have just had my first period. I was a little suprised to have one so soon as i am exclusively breastfeeding. However i have put it down to the fact that i have had a few "lucky" nights when ds2 slept for nearly seven hours through the night and that i have, on occaision, expressed and my husband has feed him when i've popped out of an hour or two. Please let me know if i'm wrong to assume this.

What i want to know is if now that i have had one period will i now continue to have them, or will they stop again with regular feeding?

hercules Fri 11-Mar-05 21:05:39

I think that if you arent feeding much at night then that increases the likelihood of a return. I think i had a period at 6 months and then nothing for a few months.

ionesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 21:09:55

I had one at about three months, then no more until about eight.

PrettyCandles Fri 11-Mar-05 21:15:16

They say it's the night-feeds that keep the periods away, but my mum started her periods again at 6w with all of us, and she was exclusively bfing. I started at 6m with my first (mix-fed, slept through from 10w and weaned off boob completely at 5.5m) and at 7m with my second (exclusively bf and slept through from 6m). The second fits with the night-feeds theory, but not the firrst. My periods became regular-ish immediately, but both the length of the cycle and the nature of the period itself were totally different to before babies.

mummytosteven Fri 11-Mar-05 21:40:36

a good friend of mine's periods started back a few days after she cut from 3 bfs a night to 2 bfs when her baby was just under a year old.

pixiefish Fri 11-Mar-05 22:10:10

12 weeks and every 4 weeks after that- even though I was bfing every couple of hours.

kama Fri 11-Mar-05 22:41:27

Message withdrawn

suzywong Fri 11-Mar-05 22:43:10

6 weeks with both kids and exclusively BF, worse luck

skerriesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 22:50:01

Mine didn't come back until I weaned ds (even down to just one feed a day, no period...) it came a week after I gave up for good.

PocketTasha Fri 11-Mar-05 23:42:20

mmm, it seems that it's just pot luck! I have every reason to believe that i'm a very fertile person. ds1 was concieved while using contraception (Bless his little cottons!) And i knew i was pregnant with ds2 about 10 days after we began trying! Perhaps that is why they have come back.. Worst luck.. After 9 months of being pregnant you kind of get used to not having to worry about them don't you. I was looking forwad to not having to worry for a while more...

Did any of you experience heavier periods after having children? This seems to be a lot heavier than i'm used to, not wanting to give details but i've gone through 3 tampons in 2 hours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: