Talk

Advanced search

Cracked nipples not healing

(4 Posts)
Goldiewithabump Mon 03-Nov-08 19:04:14

Hi

I have had a cracked nipple for over 5 weeks now and is getting worse. 1/4 of my nipple is now open sore and crack is starting to go across middle to the other side. I am piling on the lansinoh and keep asking for advice with latch from HV, but not getting anywhere.

The initial latch seems fine but then baby lets his head fall back and won't hold in his mouth. I have to hold him to me but eventually he ends up chomping down on the nipple. Left side is fine, no problems. Right side is agony, boob is twice the size and dread feeds. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

likessleep Mon 03-Nov-08 19:55:03

my right side was always worse, i think it is because it relied on my left hand (i am right handed). it was bad for a while, but it did get better.
no advice, but bumping this for you. i hope it heals soon. i guess you've done all of the things such as exposing to air, putting bm on it at end etc etc?
can you see a breastfeeding counsellor, who will probably be more help than a hv on positioning?

Goldiewithabump Mon 03-Nov-08 20:13:18

thanks liketosleep. Not really sure what answers I am looking for, as you say I have tried all the above. Have just found out there is a breast feeding clinic on tomorrow so will attend that. Interesting about the left v right handed thing. I am definitely more comfortable holding/rocking/feeding him on the left.

Want to bf! Will get there in the end.

likessleep Mon 03-Nov-08 20:38:23

You will get there. I breastfed for 11 months, but the first few months were really hard work. I got cracked nipples, blisters, excruciating pain, I used to cry before feeding DS. I saw numerous breasfeeding counsellors. The best one I saw said to me I wasn't putting him on far enough, because I was so scared of the pain. She told me I had to relax and be persistent with making sure I was getting a good latch and to be confident.
But once I had got it (which did seem to take me longer), it was everything I imagined it would be and more. It then became 2nd nature. I am so glad I stuck with it and so thankful for my stubborn streak! I bet the breastfeeding clinic will help, good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now