Talk

Advanced search

anyone actually hopsitalised for mastitis?

(8 Posts)
Mimsy2000 Mon 03-Nov-08 11:06:01

i just got over the worst case of mastitis ever. was hospitalised for nearly three days and given antibiotics by IV. it was mostly due to a fever which was high and wouldn't come down with paracetemol. i seem to be better now but my breast is still really red and sore. has anyone else had such a severe case of mastitis? how long till you felt normal again and how long till your breast stopped hurting and being inflamed?

Mimsy2000 Mon 03-Nov-08 11:25:20

bump

[pls tell me i'm not a one breasted freak]

MrsMattie Mon 03-Nov-08 11:39:52

Hi Mimsy.

You poor thing. I can totally relate!

I was hospitalised for mastitis after the birth of my first child. I had a really bad bout of it, which seemed to clear up, then a second bout which completely knocked me out. Oral anti-b's weren't working, so I had to be hospitalised and put on an anti-biotic drip. It took about a fortnight for the pain to subside completely, and several weeks after that for the breast to start to feel normal again.

I hope you feel better soon. Only those who have been through it can know how utterly grim mastitis is [sad[

Mimsy2000 Mon 03-Nov-08 11:45:32

thanks mrsmattie for letting me know. your situation sounds pretty similar to mine. i had mastitis with my first but it always went away with a course of oral antibiotics but this case just knocked me out completely. so completely i started to wonder if there wasn't something else going on...weirdly, as much pain as it's been i've actually been able to feed my lo on the affected breast. the midwives were amazed.

MrsMattie Mon 03-Nov-08 12:19:43

Wow. Well done for continuing to BF! Unfortunately my second bout of mastitis completely scuppered BF-ing for me sad. If you can continue to BF, though, it is supposed to aid recovery, as you are regularly draining your breast, including all the infected gunk (which isn't actually harmful to the baby at all). So good for you. Hopefully you will e feeling Ok again soon. xx

Mimsy2000 Mon 03-Nov-08 12:42:38

thanks. i hope to persevere! [infections gunk and all!]

waitingtobloom Mon 03-Nov-08 14:06:37

Its truly awful isnt it. I have had it a few times - but never as badly as you to put me in hospital - anti b's have always worked. You feel truly dreadful with it dont you...and the funny bit? You get to look after a baby and feed it from the side that really really hurts...

Mimsy2000 Mon 03-Nov-08 14:24:23

yes, it's funny how that sort of escapes people when they tell you to rest up and get better [*i'm looking after a new born baby!!!*]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: