Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Painful breasts after stopping BFing. When will it all settle down?

(14 Posts)
RamblingRosa Mon 03-Nov-08 08:16:36

I stopped BFing my 12mo DD last Tuesday. My breasts were really engorged and painful by the end of the week and they don't seem to be getting any better. They seem quite hard and lumpy. I'd been told that my breasts would go back to normal (if a bit sad and shrivelled looking!) after just a couple of days. I'm a bit worried as I've had mastitis twice so I'm worried it will happen again.

Is there anything I can do? I keep on getting conflicting advice. Hot flannels? Cold flannels? Tight bra? Loose bra? I'm confused!

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 03-Nov-08 08:48:32

How often were you feeding when you stopped?

RamblingRosa Mon 03-Nov-08 08:52:04

I'd cut down slowly over a period of months so by the end I was only giving one breast feed at bedtime. That's partly why I'm surprised I've found it so painful. I thought I probably wasn't producing much milk anyway but apparently I was!

Jackstini Mon 03-Nov-08 08:52:09

Had you cut down gradually?
If not is stopping cold turkey what you both want?

Jackstini Mon 03-Nov-08 08:52:24

Sorry x-posts!

RamblingRosa Mon 03-Nov-08 08:58:19

I think I started dropping feeds gradually from 9mo onwards so my breasts have had plenty of time to adjust. I don't understand it really.
The soreness has now extended to my armpit! It doesn't feel like mastitis (yet!) though. It just feels lumpy, hard and sore

RamblingRosa Mon 03-Nov-08 09:42:35

bump...please help my sore boobs!!

Jackstini Mon 03-Nov-08 09:43:25

Warm baths and breast massage, savoy cabbage leaves in bra.

RamblingRosa Mon 03-Nov-08 09:49:44

Are you sure? A book I've got at home says to avoid getting breasts in warm/hot water in bath/shower and to basically leave breasts well alone (no massage or anything). Other people have told me what you've just said. I'm confusedhmm!

Jackstini Mon 03-Nov-08 09:50:58

It will take a little longer to settle down but will be less painful.
If you can cope with just the cabbage leaves, this is faster. (keep the cabbage in the fridge)

RamblingRosa Mon 03-Nov-08 09:54:45

OK. I'll get a cabbage after work. Thanks

RamblingRosa Tue 04-Nov-08 13:08:22

Um, it still hurts and they're quite lumpy. Is this normal a week after stopping?
Didn't get a chance to get a cabbage yesterday so I've been relying on nurofen.

Alexa808 Tue 04-Nov-08 13:21:51

Any chance you could see a doctor?

My Dh's ex got given tablets to help stop milk supply. My Mum got them, too.

Sorry you're feeling poorly. Best get it seen quickly to spare you more pain.

RamblingRosa Tue 04-Nov-08 14:13:23

Thanks. I'm at work today and tomorrow but if it's still painful on Thurs I suppose I could go to the GP then. I didn't know there were pills to stop the milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now