Talk

Advanced search

Organic breast milk?

(8 Posts)
BroccoliSpears Sun 02-Nov-08 16:08:50

What would you have to eat or not eat, or do or not do, in order for your breast milk to be considered organic?

Would you have to eat an entirely organic diet yourself? For how long?

What about medicines?

What else would you have to consider?

I ask out of idle curiosity to pass the time on a wet Sunday afternoon, no sinister motives.

BroccoliSpears Sun 02-Nov-08 16:59:06

Just me then?

StormInAnECup Sun 02-Nov-08 17:03:36

Message withdrawn

fleacircus Sun 02-Nov-08 17:03:46

I think you'd have to eat an entirely organic diet to get soil association accredited. Not sure for how long, I think you can be considered to be 'in transition', we've definitely received apples in our veg box that were from a farm in the process of becoming organic but hadn't yet done the time to get the official stamp. Not sure which medicines are acceptable. In these financially problematic times, however, the demand for organic produce is diminishing, so I'm not sure you'd be able to flog the milk for the kinds of substantial mark up that would have been possible in wealthier times. wink

IorekByrnison Sun 02-Nov-08 17:17:31

Good question, although one I can hardly bear to think about. There are all sorts of household toxins that pass into your milk aren't there? But I suppose at the very least you would need an all organic diet, no trans fats, and no dying your hair etc.

StormInAnECup Sun 02-Nov-08 17:21:37

Message withdrawn

BroccoliSpears Sun 02-Nov-08 18:36:00

Soap? Probably fine.

Deoderant? Possibly not.

Paracetamol?

Would you have to wear organic cotton clothes?

StormInAnECup Sun 02-Nov-08 18:45:31

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now