Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Question for breast-feeding co-sleepers

(20 Posts)
Jacksmama Fri 31-Oct-08 16:40:32

Does anyone else wake up with their nightie (or yourself) smelling (stinking) of breast milk?? grin I co-sleep with my 8 1/2 month old DS and he feeds on demand at night (which means he half-wakes, pecks at me until I half-wake and shove my boob at him, he feeds for a bit and then pops off and goes back to sleep, as do I)... but of course when feeding on one side the other side leaks, and I simply cannot bring myself to wear a nursing bra at night as well as during the day... my girls have to breathe at some point!! But it means after a couple of feeds every night, I wake up and smell of slighly sour breast milk all over my nightie, and it does mean a lot of wash... not sure if I'm asking for advice or simply unloading... unloading, I think, and I wanted to know if anyone else still gets massive let-downs after nursing for 8 1/2 months or if I just have a very exuberant milk supply!

Jennylee Fri 31-Oct-08 17:35:51

Yes but i find there is no way round it I just Have to wear a nursing bra and breast pads at all times even with my first baby who I fed for 11 months adn this one I am on the thrid months of bf with

Jacksmama Fri 31-Oct-08 21:18:17

Bump. Anyone else?

phdlife Fri 31-Oct-08 21:20:18

no, golly! impressed you have that much milk! well done, you [hmsile]

isaidboo Fri 31-Oct-08 21:22:05

I wear a sleep bra, no pads, which is enough to catch most drips, but change my bra / nightie every other day.

Plonker Fri 31-Oct-08 21:24:46

LMAO at "my girls have to breathe at some point" grin

I bf on demand and co-slept until dd3 was 9 mo - and yes, i always woke in a puddle blush

I found that sleeping topless on a towel was best ('twas easier to just keep washing the towel grin)

IAteDavinaForDinner Fri 31-Oct-08 21:27:32

I was like that for the first few months but I think by your stage I'd dried up a bit.

I remember trying a bra and pads the first night with milk, and giving up because it was so uncomfy. Then I tried sleeping on a towel and that was awful. So I used to take a terry nappy to bed every night and tuck it over my uppermost (leaking) boob when he fed (I fail the pencil test grin) so we didn't drown in the night. This had the added benefit of preventing DS from twiddling my nipple, which I cannot bear.

Your post brings back memories of the early days when we'd wake up to a bed soaked in milk, wee, vomit, sweat and sometimes poo. DP said it was like the morning after a really good party hmm

Jacksmama Fri 31-Oct-08 21:30:20

I tried topless on the towel... milk got everywhere in the bed and my husband said he woke up smelling of it shock

blush well they do have to breathe sometime... I change my breast pads whenever they get damp but I find by evening I just want to rip off my nursing bra!!

I feel like a Jersey cow... or a Guernsey... whichever ones are those little cows that give truckloads of milk.

CurseOfTheMinnieMummy Fri 31-Oct-08 21:31:48

I wear a maternity pyjama top with built in support, like a nursing topand then slip breast pads in. They do shift around a little in the night but when you latch the baby on just check the other side pad is in place. Gives support to the girls without smothering them... grin

Plonker Fri 31-Oct-08 21:31:53

grin

Jacksmama Fri 31-Oct-08 21:32:17

PMSL - the morning after a really good party!!!

Jacksmama Fri 31-Oct-08 21:34:26

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thanks all!!
More thoughts gratefully received.

ilovemydog Fri 31-Oct-08 21:39:31

a really good party! smile

I have to sleep with a nursing bra. very unglamorous, but a necessity.

I woke up around 3:00 and found DS (8 months) in bed with me. I have absolutely no recollection of how he got there hmm

Jacksmama Fri 31-Oct-08 21:47:28

Whoa. Pretty sure he didn't crawl there by himself... you must be seriously tired!

LadyOfRoffle Fri 31-Oct-08 21:50:07

I go nudey (except knickers!) and have a small towel 'wrapped' around the spare breast. Otherwise my duvet gets soaked!

onepieceoflollipop Fri 31-Oct-08 21:52:34

Love this thread. Makes me

ilovemydog, that sometimes happens with my dd2 but she is 15 months. I suspect my dh gives up trying to soothe her (after about 4 seconds) and delivers her into our bed! grin

TrinityRhino Fri 31-Oct-08 21:52:53

I still leak a little and gecko is 20 months grin

it does improve, I remember what you are describing smile

nickymorris Fri 31-Oct-08 22:07:30

LillyPAdz can theoretically be worn without a bra - might work for you. I wore them a few nights like this but found I kept knocking them off when puttind DS into his cot - but wouldn't be a problem for you if you're Co-sleeping...

IAteDavinaForDinner Fri 31-Oct-08 22:33:45

ilovemydog - I still have mornings like that - DP and I won't be able to remember which one of us got up to bring DS into bed blush - usually signifies a decent night's sleep though

Gangle Fri 31-Oct-08 22:39:50

Oh, I'm so envious! DS, 7 months, starts the night in his cot but ends up co sleeping with us and helping himself throughout the night. I used to have loads of milk and soak the sheets but sadly no longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now