Talk

Advanced search

Seems ds has "slipped down the centiles" at 3 months, quick ..........tell me again that the centiles are silly anyway.

(26 Posts)
hatrickortreat Thu 30-Oct-08 23:25:25

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Thu 30-Oct-08 23:29:41

what do you think, looking at ds?

dd2 did the same thing - born around 50th centile, had slid off the charts by 4 months...

she has only just crept back onto the centiles, last month, and she is 20 months now.

she has always been happy and seemingly healthy, just very small.

can you shoehorn in another feed or two?

hatrickortreat Thu 30-Oct-08 23:35:28

Message withdrawn

twentynine Thu 30-Oct-08 23:41:07

Look it's all bollocks - if he's fit and well, he's fit and well and you should just ignore them - you are the expert on your baby. My DS is off the top of the charts - height, weight everything - which just really says that the charts are wrong - they are meant to include everyone and they don't. You can hardly blame my three month old can you? hmm

So yours is a bit skinnier than most - if he's healthy and you aren't worried, wait a month and weigh him again, they bounce around a lot at this age as you know.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Thu 30-Oct-08 23:43:18

Centiles are just an average. Some babies will be above, some below. They are all different and all grow in different ways.

hatrickortreat Thu 30-Oct-08 23:45:55

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Thu 30-Oct-08 23:46:43

I caved in and got dd2 referred after about 4 months completely off the bottom of the centiles. I partly did it because she has a gluten and dairy free diet (family associations) and I wanted a dietitian's report to say i wasn't starving her to shut up my hv (who isn't actually that ad, but did keep saying I needed to fatten her up a bit!)

It has been a stressful few months, as once you are on the testing path you can't help but wonder (even though i knew she was fine really) - we've had cystic fibrosis tests, heart monitors, full blood run down.

If all the normal things are ok - feeding well, wet nappies, etc then I'd say go with your instinct. In the abscence of any major signs, the only real thing that would be suggested at this point is extra milk

hatrickortreat Thu 30-Oct-08 23:50:37

Message withdrawn

silverfrog Thu 30-Oct-08 23:58:14

It's not been fun, but I couldn't ignore the fact that she was slipping further and further down the charts - she weighed 14lb at 16 months shock. she weighs a far more respectable 18 lb now (nearly 21 months) wink.

As it happens, she seems to have a really weird thing going on with her blood levels, but nobody can work out what is happening. she should, apparently be seriously ill, but she isn't. she is fine and happy. so, the referrals continue <sigh>

your ds sounds gorgeous - smile, alert and strong are all Good Things smile

FlameNPumpkins Fri 31-Oct-08 00:00:57

DS got to 6 months and gave up growing.

At 2.8 he is about the size of an 18 month old.

he is fine and healthy.

ex b fed until 6 months, then stayed b/f and blw til 12 months.

Your DS will be fine

hatrickortreat Fri 31-Oct-08 00:02:46

Message withdrawn

hatrickortreat Fri 31-Oct-08 00:04:38

Message withdrawn

FlameNPumpkins Fri 31-Oct-08 00:06:52

yup <wail> I think he put all his effort into learning moving/climbing etc and didn't have any left to bother with that pesky growing thing. Plus the lighter he is, the easier it is for him to pull himself up wink

hatrickortreat Fri 31-Oct-08 00:23:46

Message withdrawn

FlameNPumpkins Fri 31-Oct-08 00:31:50

I will give him a stern talking to and tell him he is not to take on anyone without their parent's permission in triplicate (signed in blood)

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Fri 31-Oct-08 00:31:54

he will be fine.

I have had two that the HV's did a huge panic about with regards to the centiles.....DD3 and DS2.

both on 75th centile at birth

both dropped off completely by 4mths

with both I was constantly aasked if they were prem babies

with both I did a panic feeling sick thing, and was pretty much made to give up BF as it was all down to my poor quality milk (and allergies.......but mainly was blamed on my milk).

and they stayed tiny for a long long time!

but you know what, they otherwise actually thrived (well.....DD3 got poorly a lot, but she has a blood disorder so I feel that does not count IYGWIM). they talked/crawled/walked early, and did other things ealry too.

and now......

no difference to other kiddies apart from being on the smaller side of normal.

but, I am on the smaller side of normal.

he will be fine.......

hatrickortreat Fri 31-Oct-08 00:36:28

Message withdrawn

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Fri 31-Oct-08 00:48:53

if it helps......I was not fortunate enough to be on MN then, or even have any friends who breast fed. I was literally the only one out of my group of friends who BF and I was made to feel like a freak.

added to that all the crap I actually got from my MIL (that you can only BF your first baby properly as after that you are too busy with you other children to make decent milk.....she is lovely, just clueless), and my SIL who tried to BF and couldn;t so was left very jealous......you get the picture.

I had no support to try and continue, so I went over with both onto special formula.......(oh, they did suffer severe reflux, which I think was a contributing factor here, but not the factor IYGWIM), and guess what.........it made NO DIFFERENCE

absuloutely none.

so all that crap about my milk........it was crap.

utter utter crap.

and so, I stopped giving them the very best thing for them for what.......nothing. except that when we were in hospital, the nurses and docs could moniter what the had and how they grew, and could stop blaming me, it was clearly the child in question.

and now..........christ, if I could go back and do it all over again with MN and the knowledge I now have, I 100% know I would enjoy their babyhood instead of panic thro it like I did.

so, you know your baby. you are the expert in your baby.......no-one else is, not even your DH is as high an expert in your DS as you are. if YOU think he is fine and thriving, then he is. Us mums know when there is someting wrong.....if we are left to our own devices that is so that we can listen to our gut.

so, please my darling hatrick, if there is anything I can pass on from the hell I went thro, it is this.........listen to no-one but yourself with your baby. If you think that he is fine, he is. If you are worried, then listen to that too.......and if you want to keep BF then bloody well stick to it.

you have done this all 4 times now......I think you can trust yourself to know if you need to fret or not

hunkermunker Fri 31-Oct-08 00:50:15

Gah at quality of milk [mutters]

You're experienced, you're sensible, you'd know if there was something up, Hatrick. He sounds like he's active, learning new stuff, alert, etc.

hatrickortreat Fri 31-Oct-08 00:56:10

Message withdrawn

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Fri 31-Oct-08 00:58:36

all I will say is......get lots of wine in ready.

you will need itwinkgrin

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Fri 31-Oct-08 00:59:26

hunker, I am guessing that you hear about a lot of mums having been told that lovely little quote about milk then......

hatrickortreat Fri 31-Oct-08 01:00:38

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Fri 31-Oct-08 01:04:48

It's just something HVs who don't know much about bfing seem to say.

Hatrick, if you're worried about him, try squeezing in another feed. Why would formula make him significantly any bigger than breastmilk will if you're giving him about the same amount of milk? Why is big a good thing?

It always amazes me that they spend the first couple of years trying to make children as big as possible, then the next three score and ten saying "Ooh, you're a bit fat". Madness!

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Fri 31-Oct-08 01:13:27

my worst HV incident.....

DD3, 7 days old, very very sleepy, covered in spots, DD1 with chicken pox, me worried that DD3 had chicken pox, HV came for first visit, told me that I was clearly imagining probs with DD3 and that her spots and sleepyness were down to my poor quality milk and the lack of donuts and hot chocolate I was not eating (her idea of prime BF diet was a mug of hot choc and a donut at every feed, regardless of whether the mum liked it or nothmm).

2hrs later......DD3 in hospital in high care, DX with newborn chicken pox, and me also with chicken pos and very poorly. DD3 with a feeding tube and IV with anti-viral stuff being pumped into her poor little body.

so fucking much for the HV. If I had listened to her, we would have lost DD3!!!angry.

she later recommended me (when I was going thro stress with DD3 and her reflux), that I could just stop dead with BF (at that point DD3 was exclusivly BF and 16wks old).

good job I was an experienced mum and knew you could not just stop BF dead!

<<sorry hatrick for the mini rant just thenblush>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now