Talk

Advanced search

making up bottles

(17 Posts)
ang22 Thu 30-Oct-08 18:19:49

can anyone tell me what they do to with there bottles if they go out for the day as i have been told not to add formula to cold water just hot and its alot harder to quickly cool a bottle if out shopping especially where every where seems to have bottle warmers!!!

poppy34 Thu 30-Oct-08 18:25:27

either take cartons or take preboiled/sterile water, mix powder and heat it up - I know I'm likely to get flamed as this is contrary to official advice but its what they advise (albeit using mineral water) in france so I do wonder wtf is going on.

the whole official advice thing makes me [mad].. ok it might be safe but its hardly practical is it?

ang22 Thu 30-Oct-08 18:29:12

exactly and on another thread i got slated for this but if its so wrong then why have mothercare got bottle warmers!!

Madsometimes Thu 30-Oct-08 18:31:42

This seems like years ago (it was actually), but I used to go out with one bottle all ready made up. If I was out all day, I would also have extra bottles made up with boiled water, and carry a measured amount of formula in a separate container. Then when the little one needed feeding I would just add the formula, give it a shake and feed my baby. I found the milk dissolved fine in cold water. I did not know that you could not add formula to cold water, I certainly did. Sometimes I used the cartons, but they are quite expensive as I remember.

Madsometimes Thu 30-Oct-08 18:36:33

Ah I see they now they have changed the advice given to stressed new mums. My dds and 5 and 8, so I was spared this new worry!

Tortington Thu 30-Oct-08 18:39:44

make up your bottle and take it out

has there been mass death becuase of this?

NO there bloody hasn't

so ang22- fuck em - make up your bottle take it out.

ang22 Thu 30-Oct-08 18:40:09

well i have a two yr old and twelve weekold. i have been doing exactly what you guys said and will carry on like this but was just intrigued to see what other mums do. it seems mad to me that things can change so much.!!

pointygravedogger Thu 30-Oct-08 18:51:19

I used to make up all the bottles the night before, put 'em in the fridge and take them out as I needed them. So I'd take a cold bottle with me an dheat.

Do people not still make them up the night before?

freddysteddy Thu 30-Oct-08 18:58:30

"ok it might be safe but its hardly practical is it?"

So convenience comes before the safety of a small baby then?

Ang22, you were advised on the other thread that this can pose serious risks to babies - the formula powder is not sterile, it needs to be added to water that is above 70 degrees to ensure that any (potentially deadly) bacteria is killed off.

If you read the side of the box and govt guidelines you will see this.

ang22 Thu 30-Oct-08 19:03:47

all i am saying is that nothing is consistent and if it was so dangerous then again i ask why bottle warmers in every baby feeding area! each to there own i guess!

freddysteddy Thu 30-Oct-08 19:08:39

Message withdrawn

ang22 Thu 30-Oct-08 19:16:40

i have had enough of discussing this now. i would never risk my babies life but as you can see i am not alone. this is supposed to be a helpful and friendly website but the response i have had from certain people has put me off asking any more advice. Why has this suddenly been found out i will do the same now as i did with my three year old who is fit and well!

freddysteddy Thu 30-Oct-08 19:20:12

FGS, ang22 is doesn't kill every baby, but it does kill some babies. Why can't you understand that?

Would you take your baby to visit somebody you knew had meningitis even though not everybody they had come into contact with had contracted it? Would you take the risk, really?

The fact that that your 3 year old is fit and well is down to luck.

But hey, keep playing russian roulette with your babies life.

You know best after all hmm

Housemum Thu 30-Oct-08 19:31:24

As a compromise, (and not sure if I want to stick my head above this parapet) SMA do individually sealed sachets, cheaper than the cartons (come in boxes of 20 or 30, can't remember where I bought - may have been Boots?). I BF DD3, but if going out and leaving her with MIL, I leave a bottle of pre-boiled water and a sachet (no point in me buying a tub of milk as the stuff would go off before I finish it) - even if it's not your normal brand, maybe you could use these as "going-out" milk?

I used to take a flask of hot water out to mix with powder for DD1 - presume this is out of the question now with this half-hour rule? Glad I managed to BF this time for longer, not sure how the other 2 survived....

lulumama Thu 30-Oct-08 19:33:39

take cartons of ready made or get teh NHS bottle feedin leaflet, there is info on how to make feeds up when you are out and about
you have the information now , it is up to you whether you follow it

cuttingmeownthroatdibblaaaargh Thu 30-Oct-08 20:00:43

The DOH leaflet on making up formula safely is here. It was first issued in 2005

Unfortunatly the sachets of formula powder aren't sterile either, so should still be made up with hot water

poppy34 Thu 30-Oct-08 20:09:34

well on the plus side lugging cartons of formula around is very good for your bingo wings wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now