Talk

Advanced search

My local Waitrose are selling baby cereal that says on the packet it can be added to bottles from four months

(100 Posts)
AnarchyAunt Thu 30-Oct-08 14:42:43

Its this stuff and the packet carries instructions on making up a bottle feed of cereal mixed with full fat milk, from four months.

What do I quote to the manager when I go in there to complain later? Or is it technically legal despite being v v dangerous?

SharpMolarBear Thu 30-Oct-08 14:43:28

shock
Added to a bottle!!

TheSwarovskiCrystalsGoat Thu 30-Oct-08 14:44:22

in WAITROSE shock whatever next, value sausage rolls.

RubyShivers Thu 30-Oct-08 14:44:29

it is dangerous and advice is never to add anything to a baby's bottle due to choking risks

am sure someone will be along soon to advise you on the best thing to do

myredcardigan Thu 30-Oct-08 14:45:10

With full fat milk? At 4mths?

nellynaemates Thu 30-Oct-08 14:45:31

That's just bizarre, plus won't it have gluten in it so really really not a good idea for pre-6 month babies regardless of how they ingest it?

AnarchyAunt Thu 30-Oct-08 14:45:41

I am going to complain vociforusly, but actual law/regulations to wave would be helpful. I have a card with infant formula legislation on but I'm not sure it covers this?

nellynaemates Thu 30-Oct-08 14:47:22

This just gets better and better. Read their blurb

www.holle.com.au/babysdiet.html

Habbibu Thu 30-Oct-08 14:48:37

Last message on this thread should help.

beforesunrise Thu 30-Oct-08 14:49:44

it's a pity because holle is actually a fabulous brand. their baby jars (only available online in the uk) is miles better than anything else around.

TeenyTinyTorya Thu 30-Oct-08 14:51:15

I can't find any law against it on the internet, it seems in fact to have been recommended by some paediatricians in the past to help with the baby's energy needs. It may well be legal, although undoubtedly dangerous. It's rather irresponsible of Waitrose to sell this.

TheSwarovskiCrystalsGoat Thu 30-Oct-08 14:55:09

i states it can be eaten from 4 months - debatable obviously but some folk do wean at 4 motnhs.

it does not advocate filling a bottle with cows milk and porridge and giving to a 4 month old.

i suspect someone who shops at waitrose and buys organic porridge for their child is unlikely to misuse.

AnarchyAunt Thu 30-Oct-08 15:00:09

It does say it can be added to a bottle! It gives instructions on how to do it.

Its dangerous, its a choking risk, and its irresponsible. Its not so much the 4 months thing I am concerned about, its the recommendation that it be fed in a bottle mixed with full fat cow's milk.

SharpMolarBear Thu 30-Oct-08 15:00:54

And people may think "well it comes from Waitrose" - respectable shop etc

AnarchyAunt Thu 30-Oct-08 15:01:42

You can't see the instructions on the website. On the back of the packet there are ways of serving listed, and at the top comes, "As a bottle feed".

MrsHappy Thu 30-Oct-08 15:05:23

From AA's link:

"Can be used as bottle feed, fresh milk porridge or as a milk free fruit or vegetable porridge. Instead of using fresh milk, the three corn porridge can also be mixed with Holle Organic Follow On Formula"

AnarchyAunt Thu 30-Oct-08 18:45:18

Its just occurred to me that not even the big formula/baby food companies in the UK (ie SMA, Aptamil etc) advise giving any food in a bottle, in fact their websites all advice against it, citing choking risk. If it's legal to sell cereals as 'suitable for bottle feeding', why aren't they all at it?

SoupDragon Thu 30-Oct-08 18:47:15

surely this should be taken up with the manufacturer rather than Waitrose??

MingMingtheWonderPet Thu 30-Oct-08 18:50:01

Available at Ocado and has the instructions that AA has referred to.

MingMingtheWonderPet Thu 30-Oct-08 18:51:32

Agree that it seems pretty dubious advice, goes against anything that I have ever understood to be good for your baby.

AnarchyAunt Thu 30-Oct-08 18:51:39

Well indeed, but they are based in Switzerland (I think) and Waitrose have chosen to import this brand (not widely available) so should be made aware of it surely?

I am going to email manufacturer too. But have given up hope of getting baby food companies to take any notice at all of WHO recommendations etc, and I can't imagine one based elsewhere in Europe will be any different (I have heard that in parts of Europe its common advice to give cereal in a bottle, even from doctors).

MingMingtheWonderPet Thu 30-Oct-08 18:53:45

"Bottle feeds after 4 months
Boil 100ml water together with 100ml full cream milk and cool to approximately 50ºC. Add 2 teaspoons lactose sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of Organic 3-Gran Porridge (approx. 13g) and stir. Pour into the feeding bottle and allow to cool to approx. 37ºC."

MrsJamin Thu 30-Oct-08 19:25:42

:O!

MrsJamin Thu 30-Oct-08 19:26:06

that was meant to be shock

MrsHappy Thu 30-Oct-08 19:33:29

My brother and his wife used to put porridge into their son's bottle.  I told them it was a bad idea and they said it was ok, the porridge was fine from 4 months and could be given in a bottle.  They shopped at Waitrose so now I know why they thought it was ok.  They are perfectly educated bright people but at the end of the day it is not unreasonable to rely on packaging in determining whether something is ok for your child.  Clearly a complaint to Waitrose is in order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now