Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just stopped BFing and feel really sad :(

(6 Posts)
RamblingRosa Wed 29-Oct-08 20:16:51

DD's 12mo and I'd cut down to just one BF at bedtime. Been thinking about stopping altogether for a while and then tonight just thought I'd see what would happen if I stopped (I'd always worried it would be impossible to get her to sleep without breastfeeding). She tossed and turned a bit but she was basically fine and went to sleep.
So I guess that's it!

I think I'm a bit hormonal anyway as I've got my period and feeling a bit weepy. Also, things have been really bad with DP and I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't have any more kids (definitely not with DP!)so I just feel sad that I won't ever BF again.

Sorry, I'm tired and rambling and hormonal. Just feeling a bit sad and was hoping some nice MNers might come along and tell me it'll all be ok....

franke Wed 29-Oct-08 20:22:21

It will all be okay smile and hormonal or not, how you are feeling right now is completely normal. I felt the same way when I stopped bf dc2 4 years ago - the end of an era, the loss of a particular intimacy. Of course it's sad and more so when coupled with the possibility that you may never do it again. I can't really offer you any comfort except to say that I totally remember that sadness, and it does pass.

conkertree Wed 29-Oct-08 20:23:08

Hi Rosa - I stopped a few weeks ago when ds was 14 months - was out at the theatre and dh put him to bed and it didnt seem to make any difference to him that he wasnt getting milk, so I thought i might as well just stop.

I felt a bit down about it cause it felt like that bond between us was over and he maybe didnt need me as much as before, but i realise that he does need me just as much as before, and he will for some time to come.

he still comes for lots of cuddles etc and i'm pleased that the change didnt seem to affect him much, as I would have felt worse if i felt i was taking away something he still wanted.

sorry to hear that things are not going well with your dp - but who knows what will happen in the future. things usually have a way of turning out for the best one way or another, and your dd needs you just as much as ever - just in slightly different ways.

mynameisluka Wed 29-Oct-08 20:27:52

Just wanted to say hi. smile

LackaDAISYcal Wed 29-Oct-08 20:38:22

I felt the same way when I stopped sad. Slightly different situation as I was pregnant and I think she just went off the taste of it, and I wasn't really ready to stop.

Still the hormonal changes are all there and it is hard whether it's your decision or their decision sad

It will be OK, and even if you don't get things back on a even keel with your DP, you never know what the future holds; never say never smile

Take care of yourself and treat yourself to some nice new undies as you throw your feeding away wink

RamblingRosa Wed 29-Oct-08 20:44:41

Thanks everyone. I knew there would be some MNers out there who've been through this. Just had a nice chat with a friend who went through this a few months ago.

BFing is such a special bond isn't it? I feel like I'm really going to miss that special, quiet time between us at the end of the day. I always feel myself unwinding and calming down after a sressful day when I'm BFing DD at bedtime. Not sure how we'll replace it now I've stopped. I suppose lots of cuddles.

LackaDaisy, I have to admit that wanting some lovely new undies had been on my mind for a while....! Not that that's the reason I stopped!

Thanks. I think I'm going to go to bed now and see how I feel in the morning. Right now feeling v sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now