Talk

Advanced search

EMERGENCY! WHY isn't dd2 latching on any more? she must be ravenous but she just will not latch. Sucks away on a finger, oh yes...

(86 Posts)
AitchTwoOh Tue 28-Oct-08 22:51:03

i'm actually getting pretty upset about it.

it seemed to start last night (a HORRIBLE night when dh eventually gave her some formula to get her to calm down as i was exhausted).

anyway, today she's really not fed well at all, or for very long. (nor has she slept well or for very long, the poor starving thing).

seems like i've been at it all day and while i really wouldn't mind that if she was sucking away and growing fat, she just isn't.

any ideas as to why she's suddenly forgotten how to latch on? my tits don't feel full so my nips are a bit squashy going in, but it's never bothered her before.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 22:54:30

Could it be a nursing strike? Or could she be coming down with something? Can you give her some skin to skin and see what she does? Sorry if I'm not much help, hope she settles down soon.

AitchTwoOh Tue 28-Oct-08 22:55:32

what is a nursing strike? and WHY would she do that fgs? <wails> <like dd2>

BennyAndJoon Tue 28-Oct-08 22:57:07

Oh aitch

Tis Normastanleyfletcher here

lie in bed with her with very few clothes on - or a bath together

don't stress

How old is she now (proper and corrected?)

berolina Tue 28-Oct-08 22:57:07

Oh love, I don't know, but didn't want to not post. Is she trying? Or is she refusing to latch? I had ds1 refusing and I never really fully understood why. Is the position uncomfortable in some way for her?

Can you express, either to offer her a bit in a cup, or to mske your breasts fuller if that makes the latching easier for her?

Wish I could help...

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 23:00:14

Can be due to illness or teething, or other strange inexplicable things. Or she could just be having a fussy day. Can you express to get the flow going so she gets instant gratification? Also the taste of the milk would be on your nipple to tempt her. How old is she now?

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 23:00:56

Bath might be a good idea, all the warmth and nakedness can calm them and woo them back to the breast.

AitchTwoOh Tue 28-Oct-08 23:02:15

two weeks corrected. and shit.. i've tried prett much everything you've mentioned. i just don't feel like there's any milk there. fuckity fuck. better go, can hear her crying in other room...

AitchTwoOh Tue 28-Oct-08 23:02:43

did a batht this morning, charchar...

littlelapin Tue 28-Oct-08 23:05:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JackOLANTERNstini Tue 28-Oct-08 23:05:34

As a last resort have you got a nipple shield? I had to use these when dd suddenly couldn't latch on (although this was due to stretched flat nipples when my milk came in on day 5)
Not ideal solution I know but she did latch on straight away with one, fed really well and saved my sanity - good luck

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 23:05:46

Poor you, really want to help but I haven't really got much experience. There will still be milk there but I know how stressful it can get when they're like this. Have you got any expressed to give her an ounce or so so she's not so starving and then strip and lie down together?

Star1ightExpress Tue 28-Oct-08 23:10:02

Aitch Try to keep calm. Stress and worry won't help let-down

Is she asking for food?

Can you express?

Stay as calm as you can, cuddle and snuggle in bed, but do what you have to to get through the night and ring a helpline or several in the morning.

Good luck. I'm sure it will right itself!

LadyLaGore Tue 28-Oct-08 23:10:33

if shes only been doing it for a day or so, just do the skin to skin thing, keep offering and wait it out. there could be any number of minor little reasons why she just isnt feeding right now, and you may never know what it is... im pretty sure each of mine had little episodes like this. maybe she just has a sore tum atm? or wind? i really wouldnt worry yet... just gotta put up with the grouching etc ime, horrid as it is sad

leastways, i hope thats all there is to it.

Beachcomber Tue 28-Oct-08 23:11:47

Could it be a nursing strike?

Have you checked out what Kellymom says about them?

www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html#coax

BennyAndJoon Tue 28-Oct-08 23:13:10

Wish I could make it all better for you in a moment.

but skin to skin and cuddling and bathing are all I can recomend.

Hope tiktok or someone comes along for you
Are you sure she is not ill and doesn't have temp or anything like that?

Could it be a tooth? Check her mouth

LadyLaGore Tue 28-Oct-08 23:13:36

i really honestly think she'll feed when shes ready - id really like to reassure you and help you to relax a little - not easy i know, with her screaming the place down every five minutes. this'll pass, like everything else, and you'll forget all about it.

really wish i could help you like you helped me with blw!

AitchTwoOh Tue 28-Oct-08 23:14:42

gah! she's so wee i already cosleep, ksngaroo, sling etc. so there's not much on the nursing strike thing i'm not doing/

oh it's so FRUSTRATING

Star1ightExpress Tue 28-Oct-08 23:16:00

Is she acting hungry?

Habbibu Tue 28-Oct-08 23:16:43

Oh, poor loves. Do you think she's maybe not feeling too well? Wish I had some actual advice - express and cuddle sounds good. You are still doing so well, you know - it's just a blip...

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 23:16:45

It's probably just a blip. What's she doing now?

LadyLaGore Tue 28-Oct-08 23:17:35

youre doing it all, so try to relax - it'll pass! maybe shes just not feeling like it, happens to us all, no?

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 23:17:41

Just a thought, does she like massages? It might calm her down a bit. Or could DH take her for a quick walk in the sling? The fresh air might calm her and provide a distraction.

LadyLaGore Tue 28-Oct-08 23:18:49

have you got a number for a bf advisor/peer support person? you can usually get someone proper (not your average clueless HCP) 24hrs a day, even if just on phone...

AitchTwoOh Tue 28-Oct-08 23:19:32

she's tired and ravenous. not happy with my supply i think. grabbing and scratching , just liek her sister used to do...

she's haaving wee crappy feeds, just nothing good. and she does have a wee cold.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: