Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I get my 11 week old breastfed son to go longer between feeds at night.

(10 Posts)
stiggywiggywoo Tue 28-Oct-08 15:10:32

How do I get my 11 week old breastfed son to go longer between feeds at night. At the moment is he is sleeping 6 hours straight, which is great but it is usually between 7pm and 1am. After that he is waking every 1 and a half hours and taking a large feed - usually from both breasts. I just wish he could go longer between these night feeds as I need some sleep.

jkklpu Tue 28-Oct-08 15:12:25

I'd count myself extremely lucky about the 6-hour stretch, go to bed early myself and grit my teeth for the rest. He's still very small, really.

isaidboo Tue 28-Oct-08 15:13:41

Have you tried feeding lying down? This is what I do so I can go straight back to sleep once latched on. I put dd back when i next wake and realise she's finished (or keep her in bed til morning!)

madmouse Tue 28-Oct-08 15:16:27

what jkklpu says

he may change it all next week anyway, they do at this age.

DeJaVousdoo Tue 28-Oct-08 15:17:24

I totally understand your need for more sleep, the sleep will come, but TBH you'll probably have to wait a little while.

Six hours is a really long stretch for such a little chap, although I can see it would be frustrating that it's 7 - 1 and not 1 - 7. Like jkklpu says, get to bed early when you can.

Sorry I can't offer a simple, immediate solution. You're doing a fantastic job, this phase will passsmile

DeJaVousdoo Tue 28-Oct-08 15:18:43

Feeding laying down is an absolute life saver, why didn't I remember to recommend that?

Libra1975 Tue 28-Oct-08 15:22:44

I hate to break it to you but my 15 week old still does exactly the same, as the others say I just go to bed early! However I know some recommend a dream feed at 10:30pm with lights low and no stimulus to tank them up over night. Some babies it works with some still wake up at 1am!

UmMwahahahaaaaa Tue 28-Oct-08 15:41:20

Well, my 14 week old has no 6 hr stretch - mostly does every two hours, 3 if lucky, was every hour last night... hmm
Am going to bed early and sleeping late (film on laptop in bed for toddler blush!) when I can. And it's co-sleeping and feeding lying down here - sometimes if I haven't really sat up at night I feel likeI've had a great sleep grin

Flum Tue 28-Oct-08 15:44:43

6 hours is good. I would try giving a dream feed at 10pm then (with a bit of luck) he might sleep through til 3 or 4am...... You go to bed after the dream feed and you should get 4 or 5 hours straight.

The secret number of hours to get and feel human is a 4 hour stretch.....

stiggywiggywoo Tue 28-Oct-08 20:36:30

Thanks for all your help. I feel a bit guilty that I am complaining after all he is going the six hours.Its just I find if I go to bed when he does at 7pm I can't sleep and if I do I wake up at 1am and my body clock is completely all over the place. I am having to give him a 140ml bottle of expressed milk as well as a breast in order to get him to go the 6 hours which is a pain but I suppose it's worth it.
I forget he is still only wee it's just 11 weeks seems a long time with no sleep. I will try the dream feed and see how I get on. I am typing this while he is asleep upstairs so I suppose I should go and join him and stop moaning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now