Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A similar question about breast milk

(10 Posts)
MorningAll Tue 28-Oct-08 08:10:39

Just read the thread "a question about breast milk" . Got me thinking.

Which is better for baby fed by a mother who smokes?? No debate about antismoking and having a child..pleeeaseeee.
That's not my point or question.

So Smoker and Breast or Formula?? I read (internet publication) that it was still best to breast feed if smoking, but wondering if any thoughts refs here too?
I know the advice about not feeding immediately after a cigarette, but taking that into account, overall I mean.

MurderousMarla Tue 28-Oct-08 08:12:25

I don't know any of the science but surely breastmilk is breastmilk, regardless of whether the mother smokes or not?

There is room for debate about when to smoke, how long before feeding/holding the baby but surely that would apply for a FFer too?

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Tue 28-Oct-08 08:23:47

According to kellymom, you should still bf if you smoke as you can reduce some of the effects that your smoking has on the child. Link here

ElviraInanEcup Tue 28-Oct-08 08:24:29

Message withdrawn

MurderousMarla Tue 28-Oct-08 08:44:37

Elvira do you mean your mum smokes and you don't like it?

ElviraInanEcup Tue 28-Oct-08 08:49:53

Message withdrawn

MurderousMarla Tue 28-Oct-08 08:54:56

Oh I see - my mum smokes too, but she didn't BF, poor support - she tried it with my brother and told the midwife that it hurt (as it did with me, in my memory... but it got better) and she was told of course it hurt and to either get on with it or give him proper milk! And that was that.

But now she smokes and I have a 1 year old it bothers me, even if she doesn't smoke directly in front of him - but reading that is a bit reassuring too.

Sorry, I'm not very articulate today [fblush]

Your mum sounds like a champion multi-tasker anyway!

Nancy66 Tue 28-Oct-08 09:02:34

breastfeeding would still be preferable to formula BUT a heavy smoker may find she can't successfully feed for long as high doses of nicotine reduces prolactin - the hormone needed to stimulate breastmilk.

ElviraInanEcup Tue 28-Oct-08 09:04:37

Message withdrawn

ElviraInanEcup Tue 28-Oct-08 09:06:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now