Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got any tips on how i can bf my ds without killing my back?

(25 Posts)
lollyheart Mon 27-Oct-08 20:56:28

I have very big boobs
I am having problems finding a comfortable position to feed my ds in,at the moment all i can do is lay him across my lap and bend forward to feed him and support my breast iyswim, after 5 mins or so my back starts to ache, if i try and move my nipple just slips out of his mouth.

Any tips would be greatsmile

katch Mon 27-Oct-08 20:58:19

Are you not able to raise him on cushions? Two or three if you've got them to hand, just to avoid that damaging leaning forward.

OldieButGoldie Mon 27-Oct-08 21:01:36

Lying down? As my DS gets bigger I am doing that more and more, he's so heavy to hold, and like you I only have one hand for him and the other supports boob. He seems to like it too.

lollyheart Mon 27-Oct-08 21:05:23

I can do that when i am at home its when i am out of the house i have problems.

phdlife Mon 27-Oct-08 21:06:14

second vote for lying down - two of you on your sides, tummy-to-tummy.

lollyheart Mon 27-Oct-08 21:09:38

I will give lying down ago when in bed later.smile

sillybigsausage Mon 27-Oct-08 21:13:07

I had same problem and fed all three with a BF pillow

Have yo tried one - they were a life (or back) saver for me

I have a my brest friend and several others from NCT etc - worth every penny

You can raise the baby to your boob-height rather tha nhaving to lean forward smile

sillybigsausage Mon 27-Oct-08 21:13:08

I had same problem and fed all three with a BF pillow

Have yo tried one - they were a life (or back) saver for me

I have a my brest friend and several others from NCT etc - worth every penny

You can raise the baby to your boob-height rather tha nhaving to lean forward smile

sillybigsausage Mon 27-Oct-08 21:13:28

blush

twentynine Mon 27-Oct-08 21:13:42

I do lying down or underarm with the help of about twelve pillows. He weighs over 20lbs at three months so I don't have a lot of choice.

BTW you may have a badly fitting bra if you are ample of bosom. I just got properly measured and instead of a 34F, I'm actually a 32K! That's made a huge difference to my back though!

Kbear Mon 27-Oct-08 21:14:19

get a big v-shaped pillow from Argos - it will make all the difference - you won't be supporting his weight at all the pillow will.

lisad123 Mon 27-Oct-08 21:17:16

Same problem here. I always have to use a cushion to raise dd2 to me even now shes 1yr now. Its fine if im home or at family/friends. If Im out I tend to cross my legs to raise her up or roll up a blanket. HTH

sillybigsausage Mon 27-Oct-08 21:31:17

Lisa I always took my BF pillow out with me!!!

My pillow has been everwhere - school, church, park, shops, the work Christmas party LOL!!

lisad123 Mon 27-Oct-08 21:34:09

LOL sillyBS, now thats a god idea, but i can barely rememeber nappies wink

lollyheart Mon 27-Oct-08 21:34:10

I think i will go and get measured for a new bra tomorrow, i am normaly a 34ggshock i do seem to be falling out the top of my bra at the momentblush

twentynine Mon 27-Oct-08 21:36:49

lollyheart - it's a revelation to discover I have two boobs rather than four hmm grin

Tryharder Mon 27-Oct-08 21:37:01

I had same problem. Get a huge cushion or bean bag to put behind your back so your back is upright and supported. Then put a little cushion under your baby so he's raised. If your boobs are droopy (mine are), it would help to put a rolled up cloth nappy/teatowel/muslin cloth under your breasts to lift them so the nipple is more accessible.

You dont say how old your DS is but i guess he's not very old. I dont care what anyone else says, women with big breasts SUFFER when it comes to bfeeding and their babies also find it harder to latch on as the weight of the breast means, as you say, that they are always losing the nipple. It took me weeks and weeks to get properly comfortable when bfeeding. I had about a million bfeeding counsellors each showing me "their" way but in the end, i had to find my way and eventually I did. You will too.

I used to get DP to massage my back 2 or 3 times a day at first. The pain was chronic.

MarsLady Mon 27-Oct-08 21:40:18

Lean back! Biological nurturing

lisad123 Mon 27-Oct-08 21:41:43

I still have to hold my boob when dd is feeding blush

CarGirl Mon 27-Oct-08 21:46:16

From a very young age my baby ended up sort of sitting up to feed, obviously I had to support her head but the baby oesn't have to be lying down.

lollyheart Mon 27-Oct-08 21:53:31

Ds is is 7 weeks old but we are both still learning as he only started to latch on 3 weeks ago.
Cargirl sitting up might work i will give that ago aswell.

thanks ladies for all the tips,keep them comingsmile

CarGirl Mon 27-Oct-08 21:57:47

I have small boobs but a very heavy baby - 10lb 6oz and back problems was a nightmare. I tried lots of cushions but didn't find them helpful - then I discovered micro bead filled ones, much better because the baby sank into them a bit rather than bounced off! My boobs are so small by sitting on my lap she could reach them blush

notcitrus Mon 27-Oct-08 22:00:47

The 'my brest friend' is a cushion that straps round your waist - I find that plus a bit of blanket under the baby worked, whereas pillows didn't - other people must have these magic pillows that don't slide off you or each other.
I also tried a v-shaped 'nursing pillow' but it slopes, so the bit next to me where the baby's head is wasn't raised enough.

Alternatively tucked under your arm, baby's weight on the arm of your sofa? (bf counsellor suggestion to me)

FloriaTosca Mon 27-Oct-08 22:08:35

Not had the same problem myself but my friend did and she used a scarf to support/control her boob (k cup!!)as well as the bfing pillow to raise the baby. Hope you find some relief soon.

LadyBee Mon 27-Oct-08 23:28:41

I found the BrestFriend was brilliant for at home, and then when out & about I packed this which was super quick to inflate and enough to raise him up and make it possible to feed without hurting myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now