Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfed 15 month old won't take to cows milk ...

(18 Posts)
Plonker Mon 27-Oct-08 09:02:22

...how do i encourage her to drink it?

My little dd has been exclusively breastfed and hasn't had formula or cows milk up to now. She has fits a stages where she refuses the breast (having one atm) so i thought it would be best to introduce a cup of cows milk. She hates it. She just spits it straight out sad

I have tried it warm or cold, full fat or semi. She won't take it.

Obv she is still very little and surely milk is still a big part of her diet ...but how do i get her to drink it?

Please help

screamscreamstagger Mon 27-Oct-08 09:14:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

puffylovett Mon 27-Oct-08 09:20:43

Depends on wether you want to keep up the bfeeding ? Maybe she is too busy to want to feed in the daytme. If you do want to keep bfeeding, as long as she's having 2-3 good feeds she should be fine in terms of her nutrient intake, if shes also eating well.

Otherwise maybe try goats milk, much better than cows imo

Plonker Mon 27-Oct-08 09:32:20

puffy - she is self-weaning and has been on and off for about 3 months really. She goes through fits and stages of wanting the breast and not wanting it ...this is probably the longest she has refused it for (about 5 days) so i think that this is the end of bf for us sad

Scream - do you offer cheese/yoghurs etc instead of milk? Are 3 servings really enough? Does milk on cereal count as a serving?

screamscreamstagger Mon 27-Oct-08 09:39:47

screamscreamstagger Mon 27-Oct-08 09:40:27

screamscreamstagger Mon 27-Oct-08 09:42:01

Plonker Mon 27-Oct-08 09:44:33

Oh yes, i'm really gutted sad
She has done this before on quite a few occasions so maybe she'll start again, but this is the longest she's gone and i've got that gut feeling that this is the end sad

Thanks for the info ...will look at the calcium guide now ... smile

DS was like this. didn't want milk for ages. just keep offering it casually. eventually she'll tkae it.
actually DS drank milk when i blended a banana into it. you could try somwthing like that

Plonker Mon 27-Oct-08 09:48:52

Oooh i like that idea!

Dh suggested putting nesquick (sp?) in it, but i reeeeeeeeeeally don't want to go down that route ...

screamscreamstagger Mon 27-Oct-08 09:50:54

screamscreamstagger Mon 27-Oct-08 09:51:43

mankymummy Mon 27-Oct-08 09:52:18

try goats milk instead of cows.

screamscreamstagger Mon 27-Oct-08 09:53:04

i can't actually remember. i just remember him not taking it IYSWIM.
i think i may have given him formula in a cup first. then milk (he was BF)
but if she is drinking water and getting calcium in other foods then it should be fine.

SolosWhompingWillow Mon 27-Oct-08 09:56:54

Dd was like this too except that she only wanted bfing. It took ages of just offering her an inch of cows milk in a sippy cup for her to eventually take it. She'd still rather have b milk though.

hiccymapops Mon 27-Oct-08 10:06:58

My little man was the same. I really worried about it when he stopped breastfeeding, he self weaned just after he turned two. I even tried milkshakes, but he won't touch them. Now i just make sure he has plenty of yoghurts/fromage frais/porridge/ rice pudding etc and he seems to be doing fine. A lot of my friends seem to have had the same problem with their little ones going off milk, so it's not uncommon, which reassured me a bit smile

puffylovett Mon 27-Oct-08 22:58:51

how about doing a fruit smoothie with a STRAW ? that way it's new and exciting. frozen fruit berries are dirt cheap and blend nice and quick with some milk, so she's getting lots of nutrients in one hit

<hug> re the weaning, you might find she comes back to it eventually - my friends DD did the same for a while and now is at the breast like hammer and tongues now the canines are on the way and she needs the comfort !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now