Talk

Advanced search

Possetting

(4 Posts)
mom2ben Sun 26-Oct-08 19:03:06

I wonder if someone can give me a bit of advice. My baby is 15 weeks tomorrow and weighs just over 15.5 pounds. He is bottlefed as I was unable to breastfeed. About 3 weeks ago, he started refusing to take his 10.30pm feed so we decided to see what would happen if we cut it out. The night we tried this, he started sleeping from his feed at 7.30pm right through to 7.30am, which is an absolute blessing! I checked with the HV to make sure this was okay and she said that he obviously had no problems with his weight and so it was fine.

He is currently being fed every 3 hours as I was advised by a cranial osteopath that feeding every 4 hours was cruel. I don't mind feeding him every 3 hours but he brings up milk all day long and I am worried this is because I am overfeeding him and not allowing the milk to digest as there isn't enough time between feeds. He takes 7oz at 7pm and 7am and 6oz at the other 3 feeds. However, I am worried about moving to 4 hourly feeds, just in case he stops sleeping through!

The possetting is really getting me down at the moment as it happens every time you pick him up, every time he lies down, every time he burps etc. We've tried the usual things like keeping him upright for 30mins after feeding him and his bed is at an incline so I don't really know what to do next. The only good thing is that it doesn't seem to bother him - so maybe I just need to accept it?

Does anyone else have the same problem with their LO? Some people have mentioned the possibility of reflux, however, because he is gaining weight so well, the GP won't prescribe anything other than Gaviscon for him. We tried Gaviscon and whilst it helped him slow down when feeding, it didn't have an effect on the possetting. We also tried Comfort milk which had the same effect.

If anyone could offer some advice / reassurance, I would be really grateful!

RubyShivers Sun 26-Oct-08 19:06:33

my son had reflux and gained weight mainly because he was comfort feeding as he was uncomfortable

there are 2 meds for reflux - ranitadine (an antacid) and domperidone which moves food through the gut more quickly

it may be worth a trip back to the docs

Libra1975 Sun 26-Oct-08 19:12:23

As long as he doesn't have reflux then the only thing I would recommend is a bib

We have a running joke in our house that as a boy DS1 (15weeks) doesn't like anything to be clean and as soon as you put him down anywhere or put clean clothes on him he is sick!!

madmouse Sun 26-Oct-08 19:28:42

Not sure feeding every four hours is cruel (although they do it in special care to get babies really hungry so they start feeding activily asap grin) but if anything little and often may be better than less often.

a matter of trial and error, see what works. You do indeed not have to worry about his weight. He weighs the same as my nearly nine month old grin.

but always remember the two golden rules:
some posseting is normal
it is not always as much as you think. see how far a tablespoon of water spreads on your kitchen worktop

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now