Talk

Advanced search

is it possible to do just 1 bf and the rest ff?

(7 Posts)
pudding25 Sat 25-Oct-08 22:02:31

DD is 5.5mths. She has been mix fed since about 4 wks (could not express). Introduced bottle no 2 at 12 wks and bottle no 3 2 nights ago. Feeding at the moment looks like this:
7.30am bf
11.30am ff
3.30pm bf
5.30pm bf
6.20pm ff (was bf until 2 nights ago)
11pm ff

I am getting to the end of bf. I am proud of myself for getting this far as I was never going to bf at all.

I don't want to stop bf totally at the same time as going onto solids in a couple of weeks but I would like to soon drop the 3.30pm bf and the 5.30pm (before her bath) feed will stop once I start giving her a solid dinner around 5pm in a few wks.

Will my body let me continue to just give her a morning feed for a while longer if that is the only feed I do?

pudding25 Sat 25-Oct-08 22:04:04

A few commas might have helped make some sense of what I have written blush

spicemonster Sat 25-Oct-08 22:08:46

I think I was down to one bf for a while at the end but it didn't last long - a couple of weeks maybe? before my milk dried up completely. But other people manage to keep going longer.

So give it a go - nothing to loose

Febes Sat 25-Oct-08 22:16:29

I only feed once a day but DD is 11 months and its working I'm pregnant and tired so have cut back to just morning feed but only did this about 3 weeks ago. I sometimes feed her during the day or night if she needs it but generally its just once a day. I think maybe you might have more difficulties due to your DC being younger and mixed feeding for so long might mean your supply is not so established.
Good luck though.

pudding25 Sun 26-Oct-08 09:10:50

Thanks. I'm hoping it will work for a while. Always seem to have had a never ending supply of milk (in spite of not being able to express) and I imagine that I will continue to give her the odd top up after a bottle which she sometimes likes so hopefully that will keep my supply going for a while.

philly8 Sun 26-Oct-08 09:33:02

I think it is definitely possible. My friend has been doing this since her baby was 6 months or so and he is still having a morning boob on his 1st birthday today!

Good luck x

tiktok Sun 26-Oct-08 10:15:05

pudding, I think the answer is probably 'no' or rather 'not for long'. Mothers sometimes can maintain one feed but i) it's almost always after many months of nothing but breast ii) when formula was not in the picture from the beginning

I know you have had probs and getting this far is a real achievement...so of course it's up to you

My guess - based on judgement - is that the three bfs you have at present will probably be able to continue for the moment, but you will find it harder to keep up much once solids are part of every day, so actively dropping further bf is probably not necessary. It will happen anyway.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now