Talk

Advanced search

Oral thrush in bf newborn

(5 Posts)
ILikeToScareYouScareYou Sat 25-Oct-08 19:57:29

Hi Ladies,

What can people recommend for ds?

Am going to see a Dr and want to know what people's opinions/experiences are for treatment - as don't want to be fobbed off with some shite stuff fromt the GP.

Thanks in advance xxx

ILikeToScareYouScareYou Sat 25-Oct-08 21:17:53

bump

expatmom Sun 26-Oct-08 12:00:58

No expert, but based on my own current experience....

My DD (7 wks) is on Nystatin oral suspension as the dakartin gel you'll often see referenced is no longer given below 4 months due to a risk of choking. I was told 1ml 4x day, but have seen some recommendations that smaller amounts be given more frequently.

You will also need to be treated even if you have no symptoms as you'll otherwise pass it back and forth. If it's just in your nipples, them over the counter 2% canesten cream (clotrimazole) rubbed on after each feed may do, although you'll need something systemic if it has spread to your milk ducts (you'd feel pain in your whole breast after a feed) and should talk to a GP about diflucan/fluozanole using the medical practitioner info the Breastfeeding Network provides.

There are lots of other things you can be doing if you have it like taking acidophilus and garlic supplements to get your system back in balance, but a quick search for past thrush threads on MN or a look at KellyMom or Dr. Jack Newman's site will give you more details.

stickybean Sun 26-Oct-08 13:01:52

They will probably start baby off on nystatin and you on the cream. If you feel the thrush has moved into the breast tissue then push push push for the nystatin oral tabs for you too.

A mumsnetter on this forum, (can't remember who i'm afraid) suggested grapefruit seed extract to me. You can buy it from the health food shop, 10 - 12 drops in water and wipe your nipples after each feed. There are also oral tabs but i didn't take them.

Also, put on new breast pads after every feed, wash bras and towels every day at 60.
At the moment if your baby has it but you don't this should prevent you getting it, if you do have it this will help it clear.

Good luck xxx

ILikeToScareYouScareYou Sun 26-Oct-08 20:07:05

Thanks ladies.

I have got it as I have felt my nipples tingle the past few days.

We saw a GP today and they have prescribed Nyastatin for DS and Caneston for me.

I can't believe how quickly the white spots developed and multiplied on ds tongue. It doesn't seem to be bothering him too much thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now