Talk

Advanced search

Do you get less squirty/leaky?

(4 Posts)
Anglepoise Sat 25-Oct-08 01:09:09

DD is four weeks tomorrow and I'm currently breastfeeding on demand and all is going well (hooray!) However I'm really squirty and leaky - she has a habit of pulling off my nip mid-gulp so that I spray across the room and I am very leaky (haven't been braless for weeks because it just drips down my front and I soaked my t-shirt from one boob today while she fed from the other one). Does this settle down eventually or will I be constantly moist forever? I have slight OCD tendencies so am finding it a bit hard to deal with.

Jacksmama Sat 25-Oct-08 03:09:35

I had a very huge milk supply (sounds like yours) and my breasts did the same, in fact, at times, my baby choked while nursing because the flow of milk was so powerful, poor little man! Whenever I was away from him I had to pump every two hours because my breasts were so full, and I had the let-down reflex at any time without warning. Going without breast-pads is a thing of the past!! At night, while nursing him on one breast, I soaked through my night gown on the other side several times a night. It does get a little better over time... my squirty-ness decreased a little when my baby was about 5 or 6 months old. He's now 8 months old and I do still get random let-downs when I'm away from him while working, and when he nurses on one side, the other still leaks, but not as profoundly as before. The wonderful thing about this is that you do indeed have a huge milk supply. Many of my girlfriends had to supplement with bottles or solid foods quite early because their milk supply was inadequate, and they find it difficult to believe that my baby is 8 months old and still almost exclusively breast-fed (by his choice, he's not keen on solids) and he weighs 22 pounds.

LoveBeingAMummy Sun 26-Oct-08 16:54:42

Mine did but not a for a few more months yet - would even soak though breastpads and top!

Anglepoise Sun 26-Oct-08 17:00:29

Thanks! Good to know it settles down eventually (though it actually seems better since posting, so clearly MN is a cure!). Hope it does mean I have a good supply too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now