Talk

Advanced search

Farting...

(10 Posts)
Penthesileia Fri 24-Oct-08 15:52:25

My bf, co-sleeping 21 wks old baby is experiencing some, erm, bottom-burp trouble... For the past few weeks she's been wiggling around, grunting and squirming and occasionally crying out with discomfort in her sleep, before producing a sheet-ripping, bed-vibrating fart. Occasionally it wakes her up, and once awake, that's it for the next 1.5-2 hours - a joy at 3am...!

I think it's become a problem since she's pretty much stopped feeding while awake (distractible, it seems). Basically, I have to lie down with her while she naps during the day and she sleeps and eats at the same time (not a bad life...). Obviously, she's feeding (though only occasionally, as outlined above, waking) through the night too. All this means that I'm not burping her as much as I used to, and that all that air is coming out the other end...

I feel really sorry for her as she does seem to be suffering a wee bit, so does anyone have any suggestions for how I can address this, or do I just have to wait it out until she becomes happier dealing with her wind or until she starts feeding while awake again?

Thanks!

Penthesileia Fri 24-Oct-08 15:57:29

I should add that my diet hasn't changed at all in recent weeks, so I don't think it's anything I'm eating which is making her so gassy.

Penthesileia Fri 24-Oct-08 18:23:08

Shameless self-interested bump!

charitygirl Fri 24-Oct-08 18:30:39

no advice - bumping cos i'm interested in answers...my 5 wk old also does massive farts and seems to have digestive issues all round!

Penthesileia Fri 24-Oct-08 18:33:35

Hi charitygirl. Phew -- glad I'm not the only one whose little girl farts like a seasoned long-distance trucker! grin

nickymorris Fri 24-Oct-08 19:57:56

My DS used to fart lots at night and wake us up. He'd grunt and fidget and then fart and then go back to sleep - leaving us chuckling as quietly as we could, but awake.

One of the books I read (Gowri - gentle first year) suggested homeopathic Lycopodium 30c three times a day which I'm trying and it does seem to make him fart less. You crush the pillule between two spoons, add a couple of drips of cooled boiled water and then tip the spoon into their mouth.

Suggest you read/consult before trying this though...

LittleMonkeysMummy Fri 24-Oct-08 20:16:23

My DD still grunts and farts away all night - quite funny when you hear her pupping away in the baby monitor (aren't I cruel!)

She's not as bad now as she was when I was BF - she now only has 2 bottles of formula a day. I reckon she takes after her dad as he is just as bad!!

However, her favourite meal is lentils with tomotoes and spinach (great fun on the nappy the next day!!)

Lucky me grin

madmouse Fri 24-Oct-08 20:20:27

sometimes just a matter of enthusiastic feeding swallowing some air in the process and getting rid of it that way smile

little babies can make a big fuss of pooing and trumping, does not always mean it bothers them (although if you feel it does it may well do).

It is possible i suppose that her latch is less fabulous if she is sleep feeding. yo say you are co sleeping, do you latch her on at night or is she self servicing smile

Penthesileia Fri 24-Oct-08 21:37:06

thanks for your replies.

nickymorris - thanks for the book rec. will check it out. it is quite funny - they are really quite violent! amazing that one so small can make such a loud noise!

littlemonkeysmummy - hmmm, the genetic factor may be at work here too. egad. wink

madmouse - you're probably right. i think she only gets upset because it's disturbing her sleep. her latch isn't super at the best of times (have tried everything, but no cigar) - and it's a mixture of me waving the boob in her face in a sleepy stupour and her self-servicing (grin), so lots of room for air-swallowing, i fear.

Jacksmama Sat 25-Oct-08 04:14:57

My baby boy farts as loud as his papa. (That genetic factor again!) I'm amazed that something that loud can come out of such a tiny bottom. When he was six weeks old, we awoke to him farting away like a machine gun and my husband was writhing with laughter and barely managed to gasp out "the kid is a 12-pound whoopee cushion!!". He still sleeps with us (8 months old) and sleep-feeds several times a night and throughout the day (he's really not terribly keen on solids yet) and farts at any time of day or night and his latch has always been super so I have no idea why all the bum-noise... I do want to ask though, why are baby-farts hilarous and adult farts really not???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now