Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal?

(36 Posts)
Tipex Tue 08-Mar-05 20:40:50

Sorry for endlessly posting about different worries but I really want to keep BFing and find the support from here invalulable. I'm 3 weeks in and DS is latching well etc, we're enjoying it in the main. Problem is that since yesterday I feel just like I did when my milk came in. Boobs are agony, really full, leaking and tender/lumpy altho they settle when he feeds and no sign of blocked duct etc. This also happened last week for 48 hrs. It wakes me up at night and I was begging him to wake for a feed at one point! I had assumed this extreme up and down would have settled by now. He feeds regularly and didnt have a feedathon in the last few days so not sure whats caused this to happen. I'm terrified to express any to relieve the discomfort as assume this will make the situation worse. Any ideas appreciated

flamesparrow Tue 08-Mar-05 20:48:30

When mine were full and in pain I found expressing just a small amount helped soooo much but didn't make me produce too much more.

rickman Tue 08-Mar-05 20:51:44

Message withdrawn

kama Tue 08-Mar-05 20:51:54

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Tue 08-Mar-05 20:52:39

sometimes hand expressing (in the shower i found was best) was less likely to make production greater (does that make sense?) than using a pump

does your hv help with advice? if you had a good community mw im sure she would not mind a call from you for advice

chatee Tue 08-Mar-05 20:56:44

i know it sounds like an old wives tale but dark green cabbage leaves were brill for me for the first few weeks to relieve most discomfort....just leave one in the fridge and pull off leaves as and when needed

serah Tue 08-Mar-05 21:03:54

It doesn't sound like an old wives tale to me chatee... it really works! I inderstand that its savoy cabbage in particular that does the trick - slip a leaf in each bra cup - you get a lovely veined effect when you take em out!!!

Tipex Tue 08-Mar-05 21:45:23

Great to hear the advice thanks guys. Mainly relieved to hear that its normal to still have heavily engorged days. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong to cause it.

moondog Tue 08-Mar-05 21:55:27

Tipex, you should see me when I wake in the mornig (8 months in). If you threw me into a river, I'd sink like a stone!!

chatee Tue 08-Mar-05 21:56:37

that's the ones serah but it's been a year since i was crying on the phone to dh at work and begging him to stop at a shop on his way home to get me a savoy cabbage......my mil thought i was mad

chatee Tue 08-Mar-05 21:57:35

ps: still b/f ds now and he was 1 at the end of feb.......hang in there tipex

moondog Tue 08-Mar-05 21:59:56

3 weeks in seems like a long time when that's where you're at IYSWIM, but I PROMISE you that in a month or so, you will look back and be amazed to think how NEW the whole thing was.
Keep at it my love. You've done the hardesr stint already.

flamesparrow Tue 08-Mar-05 22:02:00

I was sleeping with a towel in the bed cos I was just pouring all over the place in the night!!!! I seemed to produce enough milk to feed 5 babies not just one.

Does anyone know how to go about donating breastmilk? I would have gladly donated last time, but didn't know how... if I had the info beforehand next time, I could get it arranged

Tipex Tue 08-Mar-05 22:18:09

thanks moondaog thats so kind. I'm blooming determined to keep at it and genuinely meant it when I said i was enjoying it overall. Just got to get used to having these double d's! I reckon I was nearer a double f once I had the breast pads in today!

Tipex Tue 08-Mar-05 22:21:09

Flamesparrow, I saw a poster at the womens hospital near me and it said to contact the head midwife there about donating or the neonatal unit. If you have a maternity hospital near you i guess the same would apply. They supply the bottles etc. I think you can do it until your baby is about 5 months old.

pixiefish Tue 08-Mar-05 22:24:14

Can I just second what everyone's saying about it getting better- it odes honestly. You're doing really well, just remember that. It takes a while for your supply to settle. I used to sleep on a towel and always have a couple of muslin squares, one under the other boob when dd was feeding. it was always sopping wet after a feed at night. I always took 3 to bed with me, one for her sick, one for each boob.

moondog Wed 09-Mar-05 19:42:27

Bechod pixie!!!
That is the kind of thing that would freak out a pg mother!!
My friend was like that.
I never leaked a drop though....

2boysmum Wed 09-Mar-05 19:51:50

Leaking is not all bad, I used to sterilise breat cups and use them to catch the leaked milk. i could fill a bottle for freezing from one boob while he fed off the other. Better than expressing any day!

moondog Wed 09-Mar-05 19:53:48

2boysmum, I'm well jealous! [nvy]
Expressing is SUCH an effort for me!

Tipex Wed 09-Mar-05 21:52:08

Oh goodness, here we go ....today I'm as floppy as, well as a floppy thing! Cant believe it, I had to wake DS overnight for a feed as i couldnt sleep for achey boobs and now not a sausage! Its a nightmare deciding which size bra to wear! What with the pregnancy I now have everything from 34A to 40DD in stock! New bra anyone?!

beatie Thu 10-Mar-05 11:11:25

Just as everyone else has said, express a little until you feel more comfortable.

I know it took me longer than 3 weeks to stop having those episodes of engorgement and I would have to coerce my dd to feed at times to relieve the pressure.
It doesn't go on for long and in a month or two you'll feel much more regulated.... if that is even the right word I ma looking for.

Tipex Fri 11-Mar-05 18:54:27

Oh god having a nightmare day now. Following the engorgement I now seem to have no milk at all and Ds has fed every hour since last night and never seems to be swallowing, just sucking. The poor thing appears constantly hungry but i dont think theres any milk there for him. I'm so sore and fed up I could sack it now. I cant handle the extremes at all, why cant it just sttle down to just enough milk?

cloudy Fri 11-Mar-05 19:02:18

Does he still have wet nappies? It can't come out if it's not going in.

Tipex Fri 11-Mar-05 19:06:55

yes he does so hes getting it somehow but at the expense of my nipples and sanity. I find it so hard that one day hes drowning in milk and going 4 hours no bother then in the blink of an eye hes needing to feed like a demon to survive and my milk is all gone. How can I get my supply to stay constant as I now dread it when i feel my boobs go soft as i know what I'm in for for the next 48hrs until it comes back. This has happened on and off since he was born.

HUNKERMUNKER Fri 11-Mar-05 19:17:39

It's growth spurts, I reckon Tipex - as they get bigger they need more milk so they suck and suck one day so there's enough the next day (breastfeeding works on demand and supply - baby demands, you supply - much like everything else to do with child-rearing!!). You probably know this, so sorry if I sound patronising

It will all settle down - I used to leak like anything in the early weeks, but haven't worn a breastpad since DS was about four months old (and for about the last month it was just because I was worried I'd embarrass myself with huge wet patches on my front, but I probably wouldn't have done!).

If you're sore, try calling a breastfeeding counsellor to come and check your positioning - and going four hours might suit your baby at this age, but lots need feeding more often - perhaps try feeding him after three hours and see if your supply is a bit more constant like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now