Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and teeth - help!

(11 Posts)
ummadam Thu 23-Oct-08 21:17:05

My DS still feeds three times a day at nearly 10months and that has been fine as he is a toothless wonder.... Now his first tooth has cut and I'm very nervous he will bite me. I know it is possible as lots of mums do it but I've been able to put off worrying until now. Does anyone have any practical advice or reassurance?

preggersplayspop Thu 23-Oct-08 21:19:59

My DS has had a nibble a few times, never drawn blood though grin(though I have read other threads where people have not been so lucky!).

I think they tend to do it when they are teething. He's 17mo now and lots of teeth but hasn't bitten for months and months.

When he did it, I just said NO in a stern voice and unlatched him. After a few times he learned this was wrong.

Try not to yelp or smirk though.....it doesn't work so well then!

catweazle Thu 23-Oct-08 21:22:20

My DD is 19 mo, BF a lot more than 3 times a day and has a full set of teeth grin

They do bite- usually by accident, and I always notice when a new tooth appears because you can feel it until they remember to shield it.

traceybath Thu 23-Oct-08 21:26:45

I posted on this last week.

First 3 teeth all was fine but the 4th tooth caused problems. He bit and i was very very sore.

I was so stupid though - he bit so i was sore so fed less and got massively engorged and even more sore. Lansinoh and some nurofen and being careful with position have sorted it though.

Was a few days though of being sore.

DS is just about 10 months.

RhinestoneCowghoul Thu 23-Oct-08 21:27:59

DS bit me once or twice, at around 9 months old. I cuddled him in close to my boob, so that his nose was buried and he had to let go! If you try and pull them off when clamped it hurts shock.

I went on to feed him until just before 2 yrs, by which time he had pretty much a full set. I did notice it got a bit uncomfortable for a while when his four front teeth came through, but it settled down and he seemed to adjust his latch to compensate. If it really got sore I would ask him to 'try again' and he would come off and then re-latch.

2manychips Thu 23-Oct-08 21:28:51

my dd's 1st tooth was through at 4mo and the rest followed swiftly. She would deliberately bite me and be highly amused by my reaction. I often had little grazes on my nips. She eventually stopped when I removed her quickly after a bite realising if she did it, I would stop her food supply!

littlepig Thu 23-Oct-08 21:37:35

My 9mo has 4 teeth, which I can often feel while he's feeding but he seldom 'bites' and even then, not a proper bite that was sore more than a couple of minutes later.

I originally said I@d bf until he had teeth and then it was "3 strikes and you're out" but I've not stuck to it cos he doesn't mean it (I think...except for once maybe where he looked me in the eye afterwards as if to say "tee hee, that was fun"!

fadingfast Thu 23-Oct-08 21:38:33

At 6 months DD has just got her first tooth so I am also nervously awaiting the first bite!

I BF DS for just over 9 months, and from what I remember it was only once he got top teeth that he started giving me the odd nibble. By the end I had cut down to just one BF a day and sadly he stopped completely one day when I let out an involuntary yell as he bit me. After that he refused to feed again sad, so I think I must have really scared him. I'm hoping the same won't happen this time. I did wonder whether he bit me partly out of frustration because my supply was getting a bit low at that point. I also think it takes them a little while to get used to having teeth.

I think you are supposed to just take them off and calmly say 'no biting', but that's easier said than done when it happens!

GillianLovesMarmite Thu 23-Oct-08 22:00:15

DS is 9 mo and his teeth are just coming in. He hasn't intentionally bit me, but like the above - when he's not used to the position of them as they come in they can graze/nip a bit - I do fear my first real bite though!...
However, so far it is ok - the main thing to concentrate on is good positioning when they are feeding - no stunt nursing grin shop.cafepress.com/design/20637482
as it's easier for them to be in the right place if they are in the right position - less risk
If I am feeding and it's grazy I say 'gently with mummy' or sometimes move him off and reposition if required.

ummadam Fri 24-Oct-08 08:33:25

Thanks everyone!
Lol at littlepig's "3 strikes and your out" I didn't think I would still be BF at this stage either but there hasn't been any need to stop yet so on we go.

I can sympathise with the stunt nursing GLM - DS seems to think they don't work unless you stand on your head and whack them a bit hmm.

Fingers crossed then and at least I've got a few things to try if he does

MurderousMarla Fri 24-Oct-08 08:37:16

My DS is 1 year and has 8 teeth - he's only bitten me once or twice and never drawn blood - never made me wince even, and I was pretty terrified of it happening. I just gave a very firm 'no' and placed him on the floor away from me, so he'd get the message that a bite = no more comfort and milk.

There were a few weeks where it was a bit uncomfortable but it's as though he re-learnt his latch and it's much better now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now