Talk

Advanced search

Thrush in DDs mouth?

(4 Posts)
rockinghertosleep Thu 23-Oct-08 18:15:09

Umm, DD1 just got over her first ear infection last week, for which she was on antibiotics for 7 days. She now has odd white patches on her tongue which I'm self-diagnosing as thrush. sad How will this affect breastfeeding? Can it pass to me? and can I keep using the breast pump and bottles-would they need to be treated with something? Anyone dealt with this one?

Any insight is really appreciated! Thanks! smile

GillianLovesMarmite Thu 23-Oct-08 22:05:29

I think ds had this - we just popped to the dr and she gave us some ointment for ds tongue - orange flavoured daktarin stuff. Providing everything else was washed and cleaned as normal this is fine. I would nip to the dr rather than self diagnosis tbh.

nickymorris Thu 23-Oct-08 22:10:00

We had thrush - chances are that if your DD has it then you've got it already on your nips I'm afraid. It does sound like it from your description.

One of my books recommends washing your boobs in vinegar and giving baby water after each feed - both these change the pH preventing the thrush from growing.

Alternatively someone on MN recommended grapefruit seed extract which DS and I have been taking and, so far, no reoccurrance...

If the doctor prescribes Nystatin be warned - it gave DS vomiting and colic - although not every baby will react like this obviously. Daktarin is the remedy preferred by my HV but I've been so spooked by the Nystatin that I'm trying alternative therapies instead and so far so good.

GillianLovesMarmite Thu 23-Oct-08 22:13:03

Have to say Daktarin caused no problems with us - other than ds was a bit bemused by the flavour as he was still being exclusively bf at the time...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now