Talk

Advanced search

Changing to cows milk, a question.

(14 Posts)
idobelieveinghosts Thu 23-Oct-08 12:22:19

My sister has a ds of nearly 17mths.(my nephew!) Over here they recommend going onto cows milk after 12 mths..she tried him with it..and he kept getting really really bad poos and sore bottoms. When i advised her to stop it for a while and go back to sma the horrid poos and sore bum stopped....she has tried him twice since with the cows milk but the same happens.

Will this just mean his body isn't liking the cows milk just yet? or does it mean he will always be like this with it??

No personal experience but it's possible he might be lactose intolerant. The best thing to do is take him to see the doctor, they should be able to diagnose it.

witchandchips Thu 23-Oct-08 12:33:50

I think it is a bit unlikely tbh as anything in cows milk will also be in formula. The reason for not giving cows milk before a year is that babies need the extra minerals and stuff that are in formula + breastmilk as they are unlikely to get it from their diet.

idobelieveinghosts Thu 23-Oct-08 12:38:51

What do you think unlikely witchandchips? the intolerance or the horrible poops?

Seona1973 Thu 23-Oct-08 12:52:10

formula is made from cows milk so anything in the cows milk would be in the formula too which is why it would be unlikely to be lactose intolerance (formula amd cows milk both contain lactose). Has she tried a gradual mix of formula/cows milk so that his body slowly gets used to having more and more cows milk e.g. 7oz of formula to 1oz of cows milk and gradually make it more and more cows milk.

idobelieveinghosts Thu 23-Oct-08 12:57:12

No she hasn't tried introducing milk that way, never thought of it!

Have just text her as he had a horrid poo this morning..all bitty blush and his skin was so sore after minutes...and sure enough they ran out of formula last night and his bottle was a cows milk one!

He had always been a very very sicky baby too...has been on gaviscon for the sickness...would that be connected to it all?

hows his diet in general? my ds gets the runs and very, very sore bum from too much fruit, weetabix, or sweetcorn.

idobelieveinghosts Thu 23-Oct-08 13:36:11

His diet is really good, he its everything healthy....drinks lots of water.

The poos aren't runny though......it's more like lots of wind, and then splatters, the smell is horrendous and you expect their to be a huge amount of poop..but there isn't more like pebble dashed poop...dark green colour...it just makes his skin so sore so quick.....it is most definatley happening with the milk.

Perhaps a trip to the doc is in order...just thought i'd ask to see if it was quite a common thing at aound this age.

smile

hermykne Thu 23-Oct-08 13:42:07

does he eat cheese or sauces made from milk?

idobelieveinghosts Thu 23-Oct-08 13:45:40

he actually hates cheese...no sauces made from milk...he prefers bland food. plain pasta, munches on baby potatoes and salads.

He does have milk with weetabix though....he has yogurts too.

I am thinking perhaps just too much milk in one go? he has 9ozs bottles. 3 a day.

hermykne Thu 23-Oct-08 13:50:13

my ds quit milk when i stopped feeding him at 13mths. wasnt pushed on it. i never worried about it.
9oz 3 times a day at 17mths is alot maybe? not 100%.if he takes it on weetabix then surely he can digest it, otherwise remove it totally from his diet and see what his poos are like would be my suggestion.
milk does fill tummies up and quenches appetite. so maybe its just a question of restructing when he gets milk and solids.

idobelieveinghosts Thu 23-Oct-08 13:56:21

He has a bottle when he wakes in the morning, then his breakfast and lunch here as well as a mid morning bottle to go to sleep with. He has his tea back at home and then his night time bottle.

do you think its too much..???

His poos are fine and normal when on sma.

My ds is 14m, he has two x 8oz cows milk bottles (morning and night) and sometimes misses the morning one if he has a big bowl of milky porridge. He usually has a couple of yoghurts and some cheese with his meals so we know he gets enough calcium.

3 x 9oz bottles seems a lot BUT I'm not one of these people who advocates depriving babies of their milk if they enjoy it and their diet is otherwise progressing nicely. I really would get her to ask the doc, those poos do not sound right.

hermykne Thu 23-Oct-08 14:26:54

idobelieve
i think she should talk it over with her doc as i think you can reduce the milk intake at his age. esp as hes not a fussy eater.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now