Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If breast milk is dd's main drink/food, can she have an occasional cup of cow's milk under a year old?

(5 Posts)
deaconblue Wed 22-Oct-08 13:47:02

I know if you don't breast feed then under 1's must have formula not cow's milk. But dd thinks it's disgusting and I'm wondering if it's ok to try her on a cup of cow's milk instead? If she liked it would only be once in a blue moon so that I could go out for the evening. (can't express as it gives me horrendous blocked ducts)

waitingtobloom Wed 22-Oct-08 13:50:08

Your DD is breastfed yes? Then will be fine - cows milk is fine with cereals, in cooking etc after 6 months (although many use formula or ebm). Nothing wrong with them having cows milk to drink - its just that for their main drink they should have bf or formula due to the vitamins etc in them. If they just had cows milk it wouldnt be nutritional enough.

If she wont have formula then occasionally I dont see why not!

deaconblue Wed 22-Oct-08 13:53:38

yes she has about 5/6 breast feeds a day and is 6 months old. Just trying to think of a way to get her to have something else so that I can go to the theatre in 3 weeks time (booked tickets ages ago and really want to go)

waitingtobloom Wed 22-Oct-08 13:58:01

Cows milk can be introduced from 6 months to food so should be fine as a one off.

Saying that if you are not there she may well just not feed - my DS just didnt drink when he was away from me but if he was there he would drink lots. They associate feeds with you and can smell it. A cuddle was often fine for DS if I wasnt there or a bit of puree or something if he was really hungry.

At 6 months I wouldnt worry too much - try and feed her before you go and should be fine

Hope you have a lovely time!

deaconblue Wed 22-Oct-08 14:06:32

thnaks dh is panicking that he'll have a horrendous evening as I will have to leave at about 5 and won't be home til midnight or so. She doesn't feed to sleep though so I reckoned she would probably nod off and I could feed her when Igot back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now