Talk

Advanced search

Quick - WWYD

(15 Posts)
wonderstuff Tue 21-Oct-08 17:17:49

I have been sick all day, not eaten anything, only sipped some water and that is making me feel ill tbh. DD is 11 mo and has been at nursery (is a work day) I have been bfing in the evening and at night, and on demand on none work days, but thought of it tonight making me feel squeemish. Would I be an awful mum if we weaned as of tonight, she will expect it wlhen she gets in. Due back any minute..

wonderstuff Tue 21-Oct-08 17:18:38

non-work, sorry pendents

RhinestoneCowghoul Tue 21-Oct-08 17:21:59

Not awful, but you could prob have a night off at 11 months and resume bf in a day or two without too many probs.

Do you want to stop now?

2point4kids Tue 21-Oct-08 17:22:11

If you feel that bad, then go to bed so she doesnt want the milk (as she wont see you) and then see how you feel again tomorrow when you are feeling less sick.
Hope you feel better soon

wonderstuff Tue 21-Oct-08 17:24:33

Great idea 2point, but we co sleep, so not an option (we only have one bedroom) Bloody emotive all this feeding malarky isn't it? Felt natural until now and really turning my stomach today.

wonderstuff Tue 21-Oct-08 17:32:50

I think I'll try to not feed, shes really going to be upset, but only a few weeks till she can have cows, no real need to carry on is there? Just don't think I have the energy. If only she took a bottle! A sippy cup just not the same is it?

Tangle Tue 21-Oct-08 17:36:35

Tricky. Will you still co sleep, even if you're not feeding at night? I don't think it would make you an awful parent, but I do think you might regret it when you feel better if this is the only reason why you want to wean. Maybe do the "hide" when she gets home, and then see how she reacts not being fed during the night - nothing's cast in stone, afterall... Could she co sleep with DH while you use the spare bed?

wonderstuff Tue 21-Oct-08 17:45:29

Tricky in one bed flat, no spare bedroom, shes home and shes not a happy camper. I think no boobie and not co-sleeping would be too much, might sleep on side away from her though

wonderstuff Tue 21-Oct-08 17:51:53

DH taken her out, been thinking about if for a while, generally enjoy the end of nursery feed, but she is constantly snacking at night and frequently sick on me, and today I have no energy, none at all

wonderstuff Tue 21-Oct-08 17:57:24

I'm off to bed, wish us both luck.

waitingtobloom Tue 21-Oct-08 19:27:53

Poor you feeling so awful - its tough isnt it when you're ill with young children and especially when breastfeeding.

If she is going to be in bed with you do you not think perhaps it might be easier to just feed her? I am guessing that if she sees or smells you she will play up and it might actually be easier to give her what you want. Alternatively would it be more comfortable considering to sleep on the sofa.

At 11 months though you could easily skip a feed tonight and have enough milk still although you might feel engorged too?

Sorry cant be more helpful - hope you feel better soonxx

wonderstuff Wed 22-Oct-08 09:38:29

Well I did feed her and it wasn't as awful as I thought, dh bless him settled her until 4am, she woke about 4 times between 7.30 and 4am. Then I took over and did eventually give her a night feed. Really want to night wean, she can't need to feed all night. She did only take a small amount when I fed her in the early hours. I'm amazed that having only drunk a glass of water all day and not kept down any food at all I was able to feed her! Thanks for kind words, she's with granny today, was very cheerful this morning smile

RhinestoneCowghoul Wed 22-Oct-08 14:28:37

Hope you're feeling better today wonderstuff, glad DH was able to help out.

I wasn't able to night-wean DS until a little older (not for want of trying) but there are things you can try. Know just what it's like to have a constantly waking baby and trying to hold everything together.

Tangle Wed 22-Oct-08 21:36:16

Glad things weren't as bad as you feared . I had a D&V bug when DD was about 8 months (caught from DD...), and was actually relieved she was still taking so much milk as at least I didn't have to try and cook for her instead. Silver linings and all that!

Have you seen the Dr Sears night weaning page? There's 12 suggestions on how to help solve (or at least reduce) the number of night feeds and their mainly targeted towards co-sleeping families.

wonderstuff Fri 24-Oct-08 14:31:05

Thanks tangle that's a really nice link smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now