Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help with Milk Storage and Freezer Star Ratings????

(8 Posts)
RedOnHerBeheadedHead Tue 21-Oct-08 16:43:41

I need to know how long my milk is safe to store. I have the information regarding safe storage times from LLL here
My freezer is a separate freezer ie, it's not attached to a fridge, but it's not a chest freezer, it is an upright one with compartments. The star makings for a chest freezer are 4stars, mine has the star markings that look like this:
(*) * * *
with the first star highlighted and then the other three stars in a white box (sorry I can't find any pictures on here to link you to what it looks like)

So, does that mean that it is 4stars or it is 3stars???? If it is 3stars, then why is there a highlighted star at the front???

It says on LLL that milk can be stored for 3-6mths in a separate freezer compartment of a refrigerator (the milk I have is just over 4mths, so is it should be safe and it smells fine.) But i would like to know if it is safe to keep milk for the longer period (6-12mths in my freezer, but need to know if my freezer is the right type IYKWIM!)

So I guess my question is: Is my freezer a 3 star or a 4 star???

Sorry if i have confused you, I have confused myself now blush

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Tue 21-Oct-08 17:21:33

no?

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Wed 22-Oct-08 09:21:37

someone must know???

pussface Wed 22-Oct-08 09:34:23

It's really difficult to find the answer on the net isn't it?

I found this link www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/breastfeeding/pumpingexpressing/storingbreastmilkexpert/ which has the temperatures.

If you get yourself a fridge/freezer thermometer and measure the temperature then you can be sure if it is and old freezer it may not work as well as it did. Food still degrades in a freezer so it is best to be sure. smile

Or you could also try searching for the freezer manual by doing a search on the make/model? See if that explains it?

Good luck, I hope someone has the answer.

pussface Wed 22-Oct-08 09:40:25

Sorry got obsessed with this search and found this on wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezer hope that helps you!

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Wed 22-Oct-08 10:05:19

pussface you genius!!!!
I could kiss you!!!!
(I won't though don't worry!)
Thankyou so much! So it looks like i have a 4star one! which apparently means i can keep EBM for 6-12mths!
It's a new freezer (but i can't find my manual and I can't find any model number on it - it's probably on the back knowing my luck!)

But anyway, At least i now know that my milk ought to be safe if left just over the 6mth mark.

Thanks again....
grin

sparkle12mar08 Wed 22-Oct-08 13:43:39

I would still check one of the batch each month after 3 months - I defrosted some recently that was only 4 months old and it was rancid beacuse the fat had turned. Quite a few of us have had the problem, it's to do with the milk itself not the freezer smile

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Thu 23-Oct-08 00:05:01

thanks sparkle.
I tried DS with some 4mth old milk today and it was fine (I would always taste test it first just in case), but DS wouldn't take the teat (it was his first time trying a bottle and he took none of it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now