Talk

Advanced search

wandering hands

(16 Posts)
LadyBee Mon 20-Oct-08 17:30:41

My 6 mo DS always seems to have his top arm waving around while I'm BFing him. His hand sort of waves around searching for something to explore, pat, pull on, squeeze, scrape, claw, etc etc. (My chest, hair, chin, necklace, arm, other breast, clothes, even occassionally his leg). I sometimes wonder whether he doesn't feel secure enough while I'm feeding him (sometime just rest him on a pillow so my hands are a free), so try pulling him in to me more, but I don't think it makes much difference. It didn't occur to me that this might not be normal until I watched a couple of friends feeding and their babies (both girls...is it a boy thing?) just lay there calmly feeding with their arms all tucked in.
Does this happen to anyone else? Honestly, it feels like an all out assault sometimes.

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Mon 20-Oct-08 17:33:17

I posted about this earlier.

I am thinking about getting one of these, before my dd (8m) claws me to death.

hecAteTheirBrains Mon 20-Oct-08 17:34:56

swaddle him while feeding?

filz Mon 20-Oct-08 17:36:08

you can buy baby straight jacketswink

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Mon 20-Oct-08 17:36:39

Not bf but DD (9m) does this all the time. She plays with her foot, grabs my chin, hair, clothes and anything else in grabbing distance. She's very independent usually so I don't know if it's insecurity.

FloriaTosca Mon 20-Oct-08 17:45:39

My Ds is the same at 12mths. To some extent he has done it from the start (he pummeled my breast like a kitten at about 1 month old)and I often swaddled him to stop him scratching but it has actually become worse as he has grown...as well as clutching, patting and pulling at anything and everything in reach he usually kicks out with one leg now too,(usually against my free arm)and sometimes he writhes around to the point of almost falling off my knee (but never breaking the latch!).It depends on how active he is at the time...night feeds are quietest.If it gets too rough or I have had enough, I usually slip a finger in to break his latch and start again asking him quietly to calm down...seems to be working as he hasnt driven me to thinking about when to stop yet....just wanted you to know you are not alone wink

scorpio1 Mon 20-Oct-08 17:47:31

Millie does this too; i think it can be a distraction thing, or that she want to get feeind over with to play with something or see the boys.

At other quieter times she keeps still.

JustKeepSwimming Mon 20-Oct-08 17:49:14

My ds2 (9mo) pinches, scratches, waves, wriggles, thumps my chest etc. everything you describe really
the pinching is new and hurst so i have to stop that but mostly i just let him get on with it!
At bedtime he tries to scratch his head so i stroke his head so my hand is in the way as he has drawn blood shock.

Don't remember ds1 doing this as much.

kayzisexpecting Mon 20-Oct-08 17:49:54

My son has done this since he was born. He still does it now. He likes to have hold of something 99% of the time.

Shooflypie Mon 20-Oct-08 18:01:50

Yup - clawing, patting, clutching, batting, my DS is the same. I thought they all did this too! If I give him my finger to clutch, this seems to keep him occupied enough to avoid major mishaps.

sunnygirl1412 Mon 20-Oct-08 18:20:06

When he was 18 months - 3+ years old, my youngest used to put his hand down my cleavage when he had a cuddle and needed a bit of extra comfort - he called this 'holding my shoulder' - as in "I holding your shoulder, mummy." He didn't look for something to hold down there, just popped his hand in as if putting it in his pocket!!

Almost invariably this would lull him off to sleep, and I thought it was cute - but it was a bit shocking when his hands were cold!

VeryHungryKatypillar Mon 20-Oct-08 18:20:14

Def not a boy thing, my DD (6 mo too) not only randomly waves her hands around, but also her legs. She is not a dainty eater!

hedgehog1979 Mon 20-Oct-08 19:18:34

You could all be talking about DS and he is only 17 weeks, I get clawed, he does play with my beaded necklaces to the point where when I am looking for a new one/someone says they will buy me jewellry I ask them to check it is really strong. I do like the look of that website though

kayzisexpecting Mon 20-Oct-08 19:47:01

That website looks great. Those necklaces are lovely.

LadyBee Mon 20-Oct-08 20:50:40

I did buy a BFing necklace, but from here when they were having a sale. It entertains him for about ooohhh, 2 seconds.

Good to know I'm not the only one. grin
Might try offering a finger or muslin or something for him to hold on to next time.

madmouse Mon 20-Oct-08 21:23:15

ds is 8.5 months and likes to squeeze, massage, pull, pinch....

the latest: he is discovering that he has a right hand (cerebral palsy, it hs taken him a while) so now he wants to touch his hands together while bf, which really gets in the way.

guess bf gets boring when you get bigger grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now