Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

B/F a 10 week old with a cold - please help

(13 Posts)
BeachedWhale Mon 07-Mar-05 17:54:27

My DD has a horrible cold and over the last 24 hours I've found it really difficult to b/f her. During the day she is feeding only for a few minutes each time and is gagging when I try to latch her on. At night, she just wants to sleep and sleep and I'm having to wake her up to feed and then she isn't really interested. She seems so bunged up and snotty and miserable. Any advise would be much appreciated as I'm a novice b/feeder and have only just got my confidence up after struggling to get going in the early weeks.

Fran1 Mon 07-Mar-05 18:03:53

Hmmm i remember b/feeding dd with a cold, not fun is it! I think i just fed her as often as i could.
It would be natural for a child to feed less during an illness, but it could be worth you expressing if she really doesn't feed to ensure you keep your supply up.
I would be inclined to see a GP as she is so young, so you can start any necessary treatment as early as poss.
I am no expert, hopefully someone in the know will be along soon for you!

Laylasmum Mon 07-Mar-05 18:07:01

It might be worth trying steam inhalation sit in your bathroom or shower room will taps/shower on full so it gets really steamy and sit in there for 15-20 mins it should help loosen the snot and make it thinner so it can be wiped away and make her breathing easier for feeding!! HTH

Babblan Mon 07-Mar-05 18:14:46

Feeding is difficult when the baby can't breathe through the nose! I cleare my baby's nose with a suction thing that sucks out the snot and then I give her nose drops to tackle the swelling. The nose drops are for children 2 to 10 years, but I asked my GP and she said I could use them after three months. It makes such a difference! (Check with your GP though since there are some conditions in which you should not use them)
Don't give up breast feeding though, if you have got this far! A baby can't drink from a bottle either when its nose is blocked!

lisac Mon 07-Mar-05 18:19:30

I had this when DD1 was about 12 weeks. I was given saline drops (harmless) by the Doctor to help clear the nose a bit before each feed. You can just pick them up from a chemist over the counter.

dropinthe Mon 07-Mar-05 18:44:17

If you can express,what about spoonfeeding the milk-its amazing how much you can get down that way-also the thing Bablan above suggested is called a nasal aspirator and was a godsend for me-sucks the snot out from deep below!Most good chemists sell them-good luck-remember all those great antibodies of yours making it easier to recover next time baby gets a cold and dont give up!

kama Mon 07-Mar-05 19:05:20

Message withdrawn

ionesmum Mon 07-Mar-05 19:34:10

saline drops are great but you must leave it about 10 mins before feeding or the whole lot could get thrown up. Also second the steamy room - a nice warm bath is great, or running a shower and sitting in your bathroom. Also, as well as the antibodies that your dd will be getting, breastmilk is easier to digest. a baby with a cold swallows a lot of snot which can upset their tummies - b/feeding helps to flush it all out. Also do go to your GP, they may be able to give you some mor eideas. Keep going with the bf - it's so much better in the long run - I've done both!

BeachedWhale Mon 07-Mar-05 20:22:38

Thank you all so much for the advice. Really appreciate you taking the time out of your evening to reply.I will get one of the nose sucker things tomorrow and will try the saline drops.
Doesn't it just break your heart when they are so tiny and are in discomfort. She has just had a better feed so I've propped her up to try and keep it down. Will be definitely keeping going with the b/f as I've worked too hard to get this far only to give up now and before this cold came on we were both getting to the stage where we were beginning to relax and enjoy it. Thanks for your encouraging words

nailpolish Mon 07-Mar-05 20:24:55

poor little dd

the best tip i ever got with regard to this was a damp flannel smeared with a little vicks or karvol ove the radiator in the bedroom, for better sleep at nighttime

lots of luck x

dinny Mon 07-Mar-05 20:54:44

Beachedwhale, my ds (6 months) has had about one cold per month, poor thing. I always suck the snot out of his nose (ie my mouth over both his nostrils and genctly suck!) He now absolutely beams when I do it as it obviously helps so much. Also have him in the bathroom when I have a shower (for the steam) and sometimes just out a wet towel on the radiator in his room to ensure the air is moist. Also could try feeding your dd propped up with pillows facing your boob - ds often finds this easier when he has a cold than lying down. Don't worry, it will soon pass.

spod Mon 07-Mar-05 20:58:52

keep going beached whale, the cold shouldnt last long... i remember dd having cold when tiny... bf was tricky... offer it often and try and find the time to curl up and cuddle loads, to keep her close, body contact is great for her and rather lovely for you! my dd has cold at the mo, still bf once a day....

Prufrock Mon 07-Mar-05 23:20:02

The best thing you could do for your dd's cold is continue bf. Little and often, and try to keep her propped up. I remember actually putting dd to sleep strapped into her car seat when she was very small as it kept her more upright.
And - this sounds wierd I know - but instead of using slaine drops in her nose, use your breastmilk. It's antiseptic, will flush out just like saline, and it has antibodies to her particular cold. You could try squirting directly, but you might find it easier to express (hand or pump) a few drops instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now