Talk

Advanced search

Avent bottles - smell?

(7 Posts)
mummalish Mon 20-Oct-08 15:05:45

I wash my Avent bottles in clean, hot soapy water, then sterilise them in the microwave. I have noticed that they have a slight odour after they have been washed and sterilised (in avent steam microwave steriliser. The storage bottles I use to keep my expressed breast milk in the fridge do not smell, so I am a little concerned about why the avent bottles smell.

It is a sort of mild chemical smell. Totally confused and would love to know what it is.

JamesAndTheGiantBanana Mon 20-Oct-08 15:09:03

Do you use a strongly scented washing up liquid? We had one once which smelt of lavender and tea tree or something, and the scent remained on the bottles after they were fully rinsed and sterilised. I can remember being a bit concerned at the time. I think though that if you've fully rinsed the bottle and other components and you are satisfied that there's no soap remaining, it'll be ok.

mummalish Mon 20-Oct-08 15:15:00

No, I use lemon scented fairy liquid, and not loads, just enough to create some bubbles in the water. Another thing, is that I have smelled this same odour in the bottle full of milk, and I initially thought it was my breastmilk that had gone sour. Was so confused as milk smells fine in storage bottles.

I was suprised to smell this in the freshly washed and sterilised bottles.

I probably sound a little paranoid, but its a mystery to me.

hazeyjane Mon 20-Oct-08 15:24:37

Do you rinse them thoroughly after washing?

You could try soaking them in bicarb every so often to get rid of any residue (formula is kind of greasy, and can cling to the plastic, and teats)

BTW Make sure you don't use an antibacterial washing up liquid as this will crack the bottles.

Bubbaluv Mon 20-Oct-08 15:32:49

Fairy Liquid will do it every time.
I switched to Ecover (on MN advice) and the smell went away.

Bubbaluv Mon 20-Oct-08 15:33:55

It was mainly the teats that smelt for me though.

mummalish Mon 20-Oct-08 17:42:01

will give ecover a try. Thanks xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: