Talk

Advanced search

One night away from my bf baby, can I give soya milk to him?

(8 Posts)
emskaboo Mon 20-Oct-08 08:31:31

I have to go away overnight on the 9th November for one night and my ds who is currently 10 months and has been exclusively bf up until now will not take a bottle.

We're going to keep trying and I've just bought a Haberman Feeder and am hoping this will work.

I don't think it is the milk, although there were a couple of formulas he really winced at, but I was wondering if I could offer him soya milk? Having done a taste test it seems more like breastmilk to me and as it would only be for a feed once a day until the 9th and for the one night we're away would this be ok?

If not does anyone know which formula is supposed to be the closest tasing to breast milk. Failing all of that s cow's milk ok, though I don't think he'll take it. ARGHHHHHH!!

emskaboo Mon 20-Oct-08 08:33:40

I'm sorry I've made that sound much more urgent than it is, we're going away on the 9th December (emskaboo chides self gently for being a drama queen emoticon)

fishie Mon 20-Oct-08 08:37:30

formula is cows milk. your ds will ne nearly 1? what is the other once a day feed? i went back to work p/t at 13m and so wasn't feeding during the day for half the week, ds didn't have anything else. i wouldn't bother.

emskaboo Mon 20-Oct-08 08:39:15

The once a day feed is the feed is the trying to get him to take a bottle feed. I think you are right, I'm over worrying, v bad night coupled with guilt!

tiktok Mon 20-Oct-08 09:44:07

A one-off bottle of anything (within reason!) is not going to harm a 10 mth old, but soya would not be the best choice - check archives for discussion on this.

emskaboo Mon 20-Oct-08 09:56:32

Thanks Tik Tok, I did see some stuff in arcives which is why I asked, formula or cow's milk it is then. I think I'm making this harder than it has to be as I'm feeling very conflicted about going away for a night and the drive to get ds to take a bottle is beginning to make me feel sad about bf, which is v lousy!

Seona1973 Mon 20-Oct-08 12:51:41

at 10 months I wouldnt even bother trying with a bottle as it is advised to get them off them by the age of 1 anyway. Have you tried any cups e.g. spouted, open or with a straw, etc? Why not buy a few small ready made cartons of formula and try to see if he likes any of them. Cows milk is the other option - ds had the odd drink of it from 9 months before moving fully onto it at 12 months.

emskaboo Mon 20-Oct-08 14:24:11

Seona, yes I know that it seems counter intuitive to give a bottle at this late stage, but he's not into beakers of any kind either and I just want to make sure that his GPs can get some liquid into him, am hoping the haberman will feel more comfortable to him. I'll keep trying with formula and cow's milk!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: