Talk

Advanced search

Once started how quickly does a bottle of EBM need to be used in?

(7 Posts)
waitingtobloom Sun 19-Oct-08 20:09:27

I know there are rules with formula - is it throw away after an hour I'm not sure - but what about EBM?

We are just trying DD out on a bottle for the first time so not encouraging big feeds just more getting used to the idea of a bottle. I used about 3 oz yesterday and she drunk about 1.5 oz and then decided she wanted the real thing so I just fed her. Threw the rest away but was wondering how long you could keep trying with it - shes a snacker and likes to feed hourly in the day a lot of the time and cluster feeds in the evening for an hour or so.

Is it the same as with formula or can it last a bit longer?

Thanks
Ax

nickytwoooohtimes Sun 19-Oct-08 20:14:22

Afaik, it needs used in one go as bacteria will breed very fast in any type of milk once it is in the air. I wouldn't reuse it.

waitingtobloom Sun 19-Oct-08 20:15:38

Great thanks - will just have to freeze and use in smaller quantities maybe.

xx

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 19-Oct-08 20:16:06

This link says you can keep it for 6 to 8 hours at room temp even if DD has drunk some. It has a few different viewpoints but I would go with about that amount of time. The milk's antibacterial properties mean you can keep it longer than formula.

nickytwoooohtimes Sun 19-Oct-08 20:17:46

I stand corrected!
I'd still ditch it - I am paranoid about milk and germs [ocd emoticon]

MurderousMarla Sun 19-Oct-08 20:20:05

Don't throw it away so quickly, it's bloody precious shock

EBM can be reheated twice so I'd stick it back in the fridge and use in a few hours.

waitingtobloom Sun 19-Oct-08 20:23:24

Oooh interesting! I think Id get a bit twitchy using it 6 hours later but good to know i have a few hours grace...

Thats great news for when she eventually goes to nursery too.

Saying that DS refused a bottle after the first few attempts and just didnt drink at nursery.

We shall see...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now