Talk

Advanced search

Do hormones rage when BF'ing is reduced due to weaning?

(13 Posts)
HowlingCow Sun 19-Oct-08 16:56:57

My DD3 is nearly 7 months old and since she's been weaned (now on 3 meals a day) I feel like I've got major PMT. Is this due to the reduction in BF'ing? Still feed her on demand but obviously she takes less. Feel moody, insecure, lay awake lastnight while she slept really well for a change!! My periods haven't come back yet so maybe it is PMT?!

HowlingCow Mon 20-Oct-08 10:54:11

Anybody out there?{sad}

HowlingCow Mon 20-Oct-08 10:54:56

Anybody out there?

dustystar Mon 20-Oct-08 10:58:42

Both times I have reduced breastfeeding my hormones have gone mad. I'd never really had PMT so didn't realise what was wrong the first time - just turned into a raging looney who cried at the drop of a hat. It lasted a couple fo months for me and then I was ok again. My periods came back somewhere in the middle of it all.

HowlingCow Mon 20-Oct-08 11:06:13

Thanks dusty! Glad to know I'm not the only one! Didn't mean to sound so desperate with my last 2 posts but messed up the sad face symbol!

dustystar Mon 20-Oct-08 11:07:29

grin just blame it on the hormones.

YeahBut Mon 20-Oct-08 11:12:04

My PND only kicked in when I stopped breastfeeding so I do think there is a hormonal link to your mood. Take care of yourself and don't suffer in silence if you feel it getting too much, IYSWIM.

likessleep Mon 20-Oct-08 15:10:47

I felt very emotional, teary and angry when I cut back on breastfeeding, at around a similar time. Like PMT x 100!! My period came and went and second period was soooo much better.
I gave up breastfeeding a month ago and now my PMT is exactly as it was pre-pregnancy.
Not sure if this helps, but IME, giving up breastfeeding/cutting back made me very hormonal.

witchandchips Mon 20-Oct-08 15:21:58

I went a bit mad when ds went down to two feeds a day. Would manage to hold it all together until dp came home and then have to go into a room and throw pillows around for half an hour. Only lasted a month or so though. Not sure how much was hormonal and how much was stress about going back to work though

HaventAClue Wed 22-Oct-08 08:39:38

Yes absolutely, I still feel like I have constant PMT, dd is 9 months and still bf but is taking less than she was at 6 m, even have constant period-like pains (even when period not due!). I was assuming this is all normal. Have even cried a few times and I hardly ever cry shock so I knew something was up with hormones...

HolidaysQueen Wed 22-Oct-08 10:46:16

I'm in a very similar situation HowlingCow - I also have a nearly 7mo DS who is now on 3 meals a day. I've been having a rubbish time since we started solids - despite DS being at his most charming and lovely, finally sleeping well, and loving his food, I feel out of my depth and am at my unhappiest since the newborn stage. I find the slightest thing upsets me, and I feel like I'm a crap mum. I hadn't realised it could be due to hormones and him dropping feeds, but he has dropped one already (his sneaky extra post-bath one) and he takes relatively little at lunchtime now so that one may soon be going. I am wondering if it is the start of PMT - like you my periods have not yet returned. I feel a bit better just knowing it's not just me going mad.

LittleMissBliss Wed 22-Oct-08 10:52:58

i'm a moody cow too at the moment, I've never suffered from pmt but i guess this is what it's like, ds is nearly one.

LittleMissBliss Wed 22-Oct-08 10:53:28

still no periods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now