Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

LEAVING THEM TO IT!!

(30 Posts)
rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 22:19:28

My dd (11 weeks) is comfort feeding. Some (most?) nights by the 3-4am feed I am just so tired that i put her in with me and leave her to it so to speak. IS THIS AWFUL??

twentynine Sat 18-Oct-08 22:20:35

Nope, I quite often fall asleep with DS feeding he can take care of himself.

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:20:56

You mean bringing her into your bed and letting her feed while you sleep?

Essential for rest and sanity, in my case

FaintlyMacabre Sat 18-Oct-08 22:22:45

Not at all. It's what mothers all over the world have been doing for millenia.
As long as you follow safe co-sleeping guidelines this can be the best way to ensure the maximum amount of sleep for the maximum number of people. Just enjoy the lovely nighttime cuddles with your baby smile

fishie Sat 18-Oct-08 22:23:24

this is great. it isn't comfort feeding you aren't being used as a dummy. it is normal and will only lead to more sleep for you.

LadyOfRoffle Sat 18-Oct-08 22:24:51

Not awful at all, just make sure you follow all the guidelines and away you go!

rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 22:25:19

THANKS - god you feel so guilty dont you????

Tryharder Sat 18-Oct-08 22:31:09

Why awful?!? I really wouldnt worry about it - I think it is totally natural to sleep with your children/babies.

FWIW Ds2 wakes up around 2am for a feed and I basically just latch him on and go back to sleep. He has been known to feed on and off all night - I just swap sides from time to time wink

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sat 18-Oct-08 22:39:57

DS are I are co-sleeping rusmum. I often wake up to find him latched on. HVs have been asking me how many feeds he has each night and I have no idea blush.

He's soooo cuddly I don't think I'm going to want to put him in his own cot for a good while yet grin

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:42:50

Aw, BigBadMouse enjoy the cuddles! I'm still partly co-sleeping with DS who turns 1 next week but it's not quite so lovely - he kicks me in the back most nights hmm how I long for the days when he was so snuggly and sweet next to me

PortAndDemon Sat 18-Oct-08 22:43:04

Not awful. Read Three in a Bed by Deborah Jackson and you may even start to feel quite evangelical about it... smile

rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 22:45:15

HI BBM thanks DH makes me feel bad he says has sha been in here all night? mind you he also is trying to get me to give up BF- he attributes all the evils of the world to BF!! LOL

MurderousMarla Sat 18-Oct-08 22:49:12

rusmum I've been there with that - my DP has been asking when I'm going to stop BFing for a looooooooong time - you keep at it for as long as you and your DD are happy you'll always find support here, keep posting

rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 22:51:54

thank you. he attributes colic, any crying ANYTHING!! to BF.

He looked after her the other day and gave her a bottle (expressed) now he says i should bottle feed too. What, when it is here at the right temp, on demand?????

Anglepoise Sat 18-Oct-08 22:59:44

I've been doing this (and feeling the guilt) too - I just can't stay awake while I'm feeding her at night.

What are the safety guidelines? I'm utterly terrified of crushing or smothering her and usually wake with a start to find her sleeping peacefully (on her tummy - urk) on my chest.

rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 23:00:47

Dont know but i cradle her in my arm beside me (and a little below) I figure that way she cant fall out of bed??

twentynine Sat 18-Oct-08 23:01:12

LOL bottlefeeding increases colic because they swallow more wind and get it trapped. I'm actually of the opinion colic is a codeword for 'grumpy for no apparent reason' baby. I'm quite colicky myself grin

rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 23:03:39

LOL COLIC!!! mmmm

DD2 has been 'colicky' from 3-11 weeks!!!!!!

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sat 18-Oct-08 23:05:05

shock at your DH's attitute to BF. If bottle feeding stopped crying and colic I think we'd all be doing it hmm.

Angelpoise - there have been lots of threads on safe co-sleeping - I'll see if I can hunt one down for you. There are several ways of going about it.....

rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 23:06:12

BBM how you do that thing where you put links on for others??

BigBadMouseInHauntedHouse Sat 18-Oct-08 23:09:08

angelpoise - I found one I started on safe co-sleeping

rusmum - if you look under the list of smiley's to the right of the 'add your message here' box it tells you how to add links.

Anglepoise Sat 18-Oct-08 23:09:58

Thanks BBM - I did do a search last night but didn't get very far and then DD decided that she wanted feeding for hours and hours ...

rusmum I kind of cradle her too - suspect I sleep very lightly when I do it and won't drop her, but god if I did ... !

rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 23:11:22

Dd1 once fell out of bed!!! she as about 9-10 months though. now sleep sittibng up and with 1 eye open. Is it healthy from this point of view? Does anyone sleep?

MrsBadger Sat 18-Oct-08 23:22:12

get a bed guard thus or similar and shut both eyes!

rusmum Sat 18-Oct-08 23:24:29

LOL TA!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now