Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about frozen breastmilk

(10 Posts)
SharpMolarBear Sat 18-Oct-08 12:40:29

I have a load of bm which was frozen around May. DS is about 18 months and I decided now was the time to try to get rid of it. I took some out to defrost the other day for his cereal, tasted it first and it was vile. It tasted, sorry if TMI, like vomit and made me gag.
Am defrosting another now and will taste it again, have I just left it too long? DO I need to just throw the whole lot out?

SharpMolarBear Sat 18-Oct-08 12:57:54

bump

Mij Sat 18-Oct-08 16:22:27

Hiya

Breastmilk has the same freezer-life as any other food. In a basic freezer, one month, in a top-notch freezer, three months. It might be gutting to do so, but you should ditch it to be safe.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Although I should say that I've never liked the taste of BM - how does it compare to newer (but also frozen) stuff?!

SharpMolarBear Sat 18-Oct-08 16:29:36

Thanks - TBH I'm not that bothered I would just hate to have thrown it out for no reason, especially since I tend to ignore that 3 month guideline for other food
I haven't expressed recently - DS is mainly having cows' milk in food and for the very rare milk feed when I'm not around. In fact this was mainly stuff I expressed when he stayed with Mum and Dad overnight to relieve engorgement - I'd have done it anyway, so feel very differnet that the precious few oz I squeezed out when he was tiny

mawbroon Sat 18-Oct-08 17:02:48

I wonder if you have too much lipase in your milk.

You would need to scald any milk before you freeze it.

kellymom here

SharpMolarBear Sun 19-Oct-08 08:56:34

Thanks

SamJamsmum Sun 19-Oct-08 12:14:11

In a separate freezer which is below -17c ebm is good for around 6 months. In a chest freezer where the temperature can be lower than this it can be good for up to 12 months.

I'm not sure where the PP got one month from? That contradicts the recommendations of the NCT, ABM, LLL.

Definitely look into the lipase issue. The scalding thing is a pain but does solve the problem if that is it.

Mij Sun 19-Oct-08 15:07:38

Sam, got it from other guidelines which naturally I can't put my hand on right now, but it was to do with the star rating of a freezer - I think the ones that are inside a fridge.

Will go away and find my source... Used to have a fridge magnet with all the info on but we moved into a house with a fridge in a cupboard!

MrsBadger Sun 19-Oct-08 15:12:36

I too have high lipase and chucked about 3 pints [sob]
but could never be arsed scalding it - instead I set a freeze time limit of 6wks and it was ok, but any longer and it started to 'turn'.

eventually mostly I expressed one day, fridge overnight, and dd had it the next - only froze Friday's pumping till Monday.

Mij Sun 19-Oct-08 15:18:24

Aha!

Found it - or at least something that means I wasn't completely imagining it all.

This comes from the Association of Breastfeeding Mothers:

You can store milk:

• At room temperature - not warmer than 77 degrees F/25 degrees C - for up to four hours

• In a coldbox with refreezable ice packs for up to 24 hours

• In a refrigerator with a temperature of 39 degrees F/4 degrees C or colder for three to five days

• In an older model single-door refrigerator with freezer compartment inside for two weeks.

You can store milk in a freezer for various lengths of time depending on the kind you have. Always keep the milk in the back of the freezer away from the door, because items stored towards the front are more susceptible to changing temperatures when you open the freezer.

You can store milk:

• In a fridge freezer with a separate door for each, for three months

• In a freezer with a temperature of -20°C, that doesn't have a defrost cycle, for six to 12 months.

In addition to these guidelines from ABM, it's useful to know that:

• You may combine milk you collected that day with frozen milk as long as it's chilled for at least an hour first, and the amount that you are freezing is less than half of the frozen amount. Fresh milk retains more of its protective properties than frozen milk, so whenever possible, use refrigerated rather than frozen milk for feeding your baby. But note that frozen breast milk still has more health benefits than formula milk.

• If you are going to freeze breastmilk, do so within 24 hours

• Milk that has been moved into the refrigerator from the freezer can be stored there for up to 24 hours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now