Talk

Advanced search

Help with EBM

(6 Posts)
RaspberryBlower Sat 18-Oct-08 11:41:09

I'm trying to teach dd to drink ebm from a sippee cup. Can anyone tell me how I can pump enough bm so that I'm not too worried about wasting it and she'll still get enough at the breast if she won't take from the cup. I have been trying to pump but getting very little out and finding it very frustrating.

Bloodystumperlicious Sat 18-Oct-08 11:45:25

Can you try pumping while she is feeding on the other side, that way she is getting the let down and you don't have to work for it. Takes a while figure out how to do it but well worth it. Don't worry about her getting enough, even if you pump, she will still be able to get milk from you as the more stimulation the more milk you will produce.

You can store BM in the fridge for up to about 8 days (in the middle of the fridge, 3 days in the door I think) so you can just put a tiny bit in the cup and store the rest and keep trying with it.

Make sure the sippee cup doesn't have a valve (i.e. non spill) as these are very good for LOs.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 18-Oct-08 12:00:05

agree with bumper...she will be getting plenty from the breast regardless of how much you are expressing.

Expressing is often more productive first thing in the morning as well.

some DCs never get the hang of ebm at all though, so don't beat yourself up about it if it isn't working for you.

RaspberryBlower Sat 18-Oct-08 12:17:06

Thanks for replies - Can you do simultaneous pumping with an electric pump or would I be easier just getting a hand held one?

LackaDAISYcal Sat 18-Oct-08 12:22:15

Never used an electric pump, but provided it doesn't distract your baby from doing her bit then you should be OK smile

I can imagine though that, depending on her age, she will be more intrigued by what's going on with the other boob!

Bloodystumperlicious Sat 18-Oct-08 12:31:45

Kellymom has some good advice on expressing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now