Talk

Advanced search

10 months old and feeding becoming really painful

(6 Posts)
traceybath Sat 18-Oct-08 11:23:38

DS has just cut his fourth tooth and i'm finding feeding really really painful. Its not that he's biting its just really sore.

Is this what its like with teeth? They've all come through in the last month.

I really want to get to one year so any tips to improve things? Am trying to cut his feeds down a bit as he was feeding a lot but also eating huge amounts.

Wallace Sat 18-Oct-08 11:37:09

You will both adjust to it soon

I had this problem only with my third child who doeas have big gnashers! It wentt away, but can't remember how quickly.

I'm still feeding him and he was 2 in July grin

Notquitegrownup Sat 18-Oct-08 11:38:07

Well done on getting this far! As you know, when they latch on properly, the tongue covers the bottom teeth, but ds1 used to press down with his top teeth, whilst feeding and it could be quite sore.
It might be worth popping into a bfing clinic if you have one, just to check your positioning. As they grow and change position, you might find that a minor adjustment avoids the extra pressure. However, I think that we just outgrew that phase - we kept feeding until he was 3.

Getting ds1 off the breast, when he didn't want to stop feeding was a little tricky - there was always the danger he would "hang on" with his teeth. Ouch! Slipping a little finger in to break the vaccuum, and then keeping it in there, to protect the nipple helped a little, and again, he outgrew that tendency.

Best of luck

peachsmuggler Sat 18-Oct-08 11:39:52

Hi, DD is 7 months and has had teeth for a while but it has started to hurt since she got her top two. I find it hurts more when she is tired, not concentrating, or when she has had enough. she has somtimes bitten, and I always just take her off when she does this, but usually it is just the sharpness of her teeth that gets me, which sounds like it is what is happening to you.

I have found that feeding lying down helps, but not always.

will be interested to follow this thread as, like you, I don't want to stop bf any time soon!

Mungarra Sat 18-Oct-08 11:57:22

My DD is 10 months old and I was OK with the two bottom teeth, but recently she's got 4 top ones and another bottom one. I found that it was mostly a problem at her bedtime feed when she would sort of grind her teeth on me when she was falling asleep, ie she wasn't doing it on purpose. I got a sore on one nipple. Formula was looking like a good option all of a sudden.

However, over the last few days, I've taken her off if she grinds her teeth and she's more or less stopped doing it. I've also fed lying down on the side with the sore (so that her teeth don't rub on the sore) and it's mostly healed now.

I'm hoping that it's a phase and she was just doing it when the teeth were coming through and she was in pain. Like you, I'm hoping to carry on until she gets to 12 months.

traceybath Sun 19-Oct-08 11:08:42

Its still bloody painful - actually worse than the early days.

Am off out to get some lansinoh and am hoping that will help sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: