Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I think my milk had dryed up help.

(4 Posts)
isittolate Fri 17-Oct-08 23:22:12

my ds is 6 weeks old, we have had bf problems from the start he only started to latch on at 4 weeks so have been mix feeding but after 2 hours on the boob he still drinks 120mls of formula, i think my milk has dryed up sad i did not bf for a couple of days because of blocked ducts and mastitis it was to painfull. I only get a dribble out when i express , is it possible to get my milk back?

moondog Fri 17-Oct-08 23:26:06

Why did you not feed? it is best to keep on going. What you can exporess is no way an indication of what ios there.

Breastfeeding works on supply and demand, so the more yuo feed, the more you make.

Without expert guidance it is not generally a good idea to mix feed in the early stages as the breasts do not receive enough stimulation to send them the message to produce enough milk.

It would be a good idea to phone one of the helplines and talk it through. They are listed on this great blog run by an MNer.

How breastfeeding works

LackaDAISYcal Fri 17-Oct-08 23:30:16

congrats on your baby and sorry you are having a hard time; it can be soul destroying in the early days if things aren't going well sad

It is possible yes, but you need to be prepared for some hard work. Can you have a babymoon? that is take to bed with the baby and give him free access to the breast? Lots of skin to skin is good as well. And regular night feeds are key. I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to get much when expressing; no pump is as effective as a baby and the amount that can be pumped isn't a true indication of what is there in your breast.

I would also try and see a qualified breasfeeding counsellor or lactation consultant to help you with replacing the formula feed with breast feeds.

Call the helplines tomorrow and see if you can get someone out to meet with you. numbers are here on hunker's blog

I'm not an expert, but hopefully tiktok or someone with expereince of doing this will be along shortly with some advice for you.

There is also good information on kellymom

Good Luck smile

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 18-Oct-08 09:39:14

this is what i did -
ds didn't latch properly and lost too much weight. i started giving fm, bought a breast pump and pumped every 1-2 hours. also offered the breast before every ff. after 2-3 days we cracked latching on
i was giving him 90mls 4x day after each feed and feeling as demoralised as you are now - felt like the 1-2 hours bf was a waste of time. so i gave him fm 6x daily at 60mls instead, so he wouldn't get so full. also bf like crazy at any time i could.
this week have reduced ffs to 2-3x day. i expect less weight gain but he is bf happily and doesn't feed for ages then continue rooting and crying as he us4ed to.
try the structured, smaller ffs, with lots of bf in between. your supply won't dry up that quickly - and i can't express more than 10ml at a time either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now