Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take for your milk to dry up once you stop BF?

(8 Posts)
devonsmummy Fri 17-Oct-08 14:14:36

I stopped night feeds for DS (23mths), two weeks ago so was down to 3 feeds a day.

We are on day 2 of no BF and god my boobs are killing me!!

How long until I stop producing milk?

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Fri 17-Oct-08 14:17:51

a few weeks yet. Give it a couple of days and the pain will decrease - could you perhaps express off just a little bit to stop the engorgement? After BFing DS1, mine took ages to stop producing altogether, but it shouldn't take long before they start to decrease.

devonsmummy Fri 17-Oct-08 14:25:27

Oh well it looks like lots warm showers for me.

Have expressed a little - didn't want to do too much as I thought it would take longer to stop.

When you say ages, how long was it for you?

feedmenow Fri 17-Oct-08 14:27:09

Wear a really supportive bra, take paracetamol if really painful.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I seem to take about 6 weeks to dry up altogether (although obviously not piddling milk and in pain all that time!)

devonsmummy Fri 17-Oct-08 14:38:54

Six weeks!

I had a notion that it would only take a couple of weeks.

DH is not gonna be happy.
Last night he thought it was his right to re-claim my boobs after 23mths of BF - some how being told 'my boobs are f*%$ing killing me' did not register in his man brain and we ended up not speaking.

Mij Fri 17-Oct-08 15:27:37

So I'm guessing that telling your DH that they're your blooming boobs and he just gets a VIP pass when you choose wouldn't go down a storm either then wink grin.

No idea if this will work, but I do know that a study suggested that if you're psychologically really ready to stop, milk decreases more quickly. So - some really positive thinking/visualisation/something else to reinforce the rightness of your decision might be worth a try hmm?

RedOnHerBeheadedHead Fri 17-Oct-08 17:02:54

When I said ages - i literally meant AGES!!! Mine took a few weeks to stop being full (DS was 15mths and only have one feed at night by then anyway) but even over a year later if i squeezed the nipple, i could get some out!

Mij Sat 18-Oct-08 16:04:14

Red - blimey that really is ages! Very interesting though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now