Talk

Advanced search

sporadic runny poos in breastfed 9 week old - anything to worry about?

(6 Posts)
BraveNewWorld Thu 16-Oct-08 20:52:02

First DD had been feeding well and pooing regularly (up to 4 times a day and once at night) until last week. Suddenly she went to only pooing once every three days and building up such an amount of it that she wouldn't feed as long, got a sore tummy and screamed when straining to get it out. Today she had another episode and screamed blue murder before a huge pile of runny, reddish brown and stinkier poo than previous came out - never seen her so distressed. Still wetting nappies regularly and feeding a little more often than usual - is it diarrhea? Anything to worry about?

tiktok Thu 16-Oct-08 21:20:49

I would say this needs a medical opinion, BraveNewWorld - and with a baby as young as this, I'd be inclined to at least speak to a doctor or a nurse tonight, to be honest. Perhaps there will be a medic on mumsnet who can voice an opinion, too. It's the distress and the reddish colour that's out of the ordinary.

nickymorris Thu 16-Oct-08 21:30:39

Definitely agree with tiktok. My 9 week old DS goes about 5 days between poos (next one due tomorrow!) and when they come out the stink so badly it makes me gag; but are never reddish in colour.

I was told that as long as poos look like one form of mustard or another there's nothing to worry about....

Can you think of something that you've eaten that might have upset DD?

BraveNewWorld Sun 19-Oct-08 20:12:49

Thanks both for the advice, it's redder than normal but still orange I'd say, nonetheless will call NHS direct for advice. She's been v happy (though poo-less) since Friday. Re foods, I've been super careful and have avoided onions and garlic since day one, (mum's advice) cabbages and broccoli (midwife's advice) and red peppers (after she got gassy in early weeks) so can't think of much out of the ordinary that I've had apart from a cup of coffee a good week after this started. Will take it to the medics and see what they come up with smile

nickymorris Sun 19-Oct-08 21:50:10

if it's orange then it sounds like my DS's poos (5-day super poo turned up today - VILE). It was the word red that worried me a bit in your post.

The medics may want to have a look at a poo so consider taking along a full nappy if you have a recent one.

BraveNewWorld Sun 26-Oct-08 20:47:44

Normal service has resumed! The GP wasn't worried when I took her in, and a combination of orange juice, litres of water, offering both breasts at each feed to get more foremilk into her and finally a trip to the cranial osteopath at the Osteopathic Centre for Children seems to have unblocked her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now