Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why is stopping breastfeeding seen as some kind of achievement?

(5 Posts)
Stefka Wed 15-Oct-08 21:55:47

People around me who have had babies at the same time as me all seem to be in some kind of race to stop. In particular my SIL sees it as some kind of achievement that she is now down to one feed a day and as soon as her DD recovers from a cold she is stopping. I don't care if she wants to stop but I hate the way she talks to me as if I am failing somehow because DS who is older than her child still feeds about three times a day. I figure that I am at home with him so why deny him if he wants it - he will stop when he is good and ready.

Also I had my first 'bitty' comment at the weekend from someone else. DS is one next week so I guess people think I should stop now. I know I shouldn't care what others think and I don't at the end of the day but it is tiring to feel you have to justify yourself all the time.

OK - moan over!

twentynine Wed 15-Oct-08 22:04:44

Oh that's easy, there is some residual self doubt there in those who are quitting a lot of the time - sometimes they are feeling social pressure to quit and you sticking it out just makes them feel bad.

DD is 2 and still feeding and I have a young baby too - you stick to your guns.

I have a badge which says: still breastfeeding, still none of your business. Perhaps you should get one?

thisisyesterday Wed 15-Oct-08 22:07:11

hehe I want a badge like that.
I have had no comments on still feeding ds2 yet, and he is a year old on the 26th. now I feel left out lol

cyteen Wed 15-Oct-08 22:09:11

Tbh, I can see that when I stop breastfeeding I'll feel a certain sense of achievement, both in the completion of an amazing project (nurturing a baby to the exclusion of all else) and in the fact that I am now reclaiming my body for myself. But that's totally different to other people claiming that they are somehow superior to you for stopping. Fuck 'em in the ear, I say

lisad123 Wed 15-Oct-08 22:12:14

i have this too, one even commented "I thought you were stopping when she was 1. why you still doing it, she can have cows milk now"! this was a week after she turned one hmm Im happy feeding dd2 if im around but happy to know if im not she will have cows milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now