Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of a blocked duct - best massage technique and how long should it take?

(10 Posts)
naturelover Wed 15-Oct-08 14:29:28

Just got my first blocked duct, have been applying heat and massaging, including during feeding. Is there a "correct" way to massage it out? Two days now and it's not shifting yet.

Thanks in advance!

PortAndDemon Wed 15-Oct-08 14:33:12

I have tended to

- have hot shower and massage blocked area towards nipple
- get out of shower, feed DC on that side (with massage)
- have another hot shower
- feed DC again

and keep this up on a two-hourly (or so) cycle until it shifts (has generally taken two or three showers' worth)

Applying hot compresses never seemed to work as well as the shower.

I have heard of "combing" to shift a blocked duct but have never tried it.

wotnopulling Wed 15-Oct-08 14:39:08

echo all portanddemon says. i do hot bath rather than shower and when you feed if you try to lean over baby so boob 'dangles' a bit so you get good access to massage.

worked for me twice BUT i have mastitis now and i went to docs when i couldn't shift it in 24 hours as you need to act quick. if you start to feel flu-y or get red patches on boob go see gp as mastitis can be v nasty (i speak from bitter experience).

good luck.

naturelover Wed 15-Oct-08 15:36:15

Thanks very much for the tips.
I've already had the pain for about 4 days and no fever so far, but will work harder at trying to shift it because mastitis sounds horrible.

BagsUnderMyEyes Wed 15-Oct-08 16:02:24

Take ibuprofen as often as you can. It works a treat for me.

BagsUnderMyEyes Wed 15-Oct-08 16:02:56

Take ibuprofen as often as you can. It works a treat for me.

Bucharest Wed 15-Oct-08 16:08:27

Can you see the white tip of the duct on your nipple? If you can and can bear it- then a sterilised needle poked in will clear it straightaway. (I did that with mine- literally felt the boob deflating) (got the advice from Dr Sears website btw- didn't invent it to be masochistic or anything!)xx

BananaSkin Wed 15-Oct-08 16:14:40

Ewwww - lancing your own ducts. That sounds hideously painful, but glad it worked.

Last time, I just kept feeding and feeding. It always pains me to think of poor innocent little babies happily sucking out yucky milk that has been sitting around in a blocked duct, but it seems not to do any harm to them.

poppy34 Wed 15-Oct-08 19:39:20

combing only seemed to make my skin as rough as a badgers arse

Puppster Wed 15-Oct-08 19:43:43

I combed whilst feeding and in shower, but using my knuckles - middle ones on fingers iyswim, in a sort of rolling motion. Took 3-4 days to clear completely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now