Talk

Advanced search

Exclusively breast feeding - how early could my periods return?

(20 Posts)
milkmoustache Wed 15-Oct-08 09:21:34

Last time it took a good few months, but DS is 7 wks and have been having very light bleeding for last few days. The lochia has stopped so was wondering if I am just extremely unlucky and this is my period?

milkmoustache Wed 15-Oct-08 09:53:32

...anyone?

Peachy Wed 15-Oct-08 09:55:03

There's no definitive answer I am afraid!

Even in a person it varies massively with each baby

However lochia returns if a Mum has been physicallya ctive or sometimes jyust does (and that is normal) so no way of knowing tbh

littlewhitebull Wed 15-Oct-08 10:06:53

My periods came back in less than 3 months and I had lochia for about 5 weeks so I was definitely in the unlucky camp.

It's hard to say at the minute though. Fingers crossed that it's just a bit of late residual bleeding...!

alittlebitshy Wed 15-Oct-08 10:08:30

had lochia til 6 weeks then my period came at 8 weeks. was most unimpressed. Waiting to see if the next one comes (now week 12) or if it was a one off.....

mummymarz Wed 15-Oct-08 12:44:50

My period came back at 5 weeks, which was highly dissapointing! BFing = no period is a complete myth! If you go on the minipill for contraception it should go away again ;)

beansontoast Wed 15-Oct-08 12:48:19

seven weeks...id guess you are 'doing too much' and bleeding accordingly...sit yourself down a bit more smile

beansontoast Wed 15-Oct-08 12:50:13

oh blimey..typical i go and contradict the actual experience of others!

its just that i thought my period came back at seven weeks with ds1...and it wasnt

Peachy Wed 15-Oct-08 13:40:30

'tisw ok beans your experience same as mine has been lol

Ineedsomesleep Wed 15-Oct-08 13:44:57

I had DS in Aug 07 and still no periods grin Sorry Mummymarz, beansontoast and Peachy.

Peachy Wed 15-Oct-08 13:47:30

Ah no, that was ds2- ds4 was born April and still period free
so <<sticky ut tongue emoticon>> to you instead wink

smellyeli Wed 15-Oct-08 13:47:33

Lochia for 4 weeks, period at 7 - light, then another one at 3 months - not light - and now every month, very heavy, despite still doing 4 or 5 breastfeeds a day (DD is 6 months). Thinking about getting pregnant again just to get rid of periods, but seems a little drastic!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 15-Oct-08 13:49:04

Mine came back at 9 weeks with both babies.....first one BF till 5 weeks then FF; second one exclusively BF. It was connected to her skipping a night feed though as period returned two weeks after that happened.

elvisgirl Wed 15-Oct-08 23:24:59

The most likely time for them to return is when babe starts sleeping for a long period overnight as it is to do with the frequency of the hormone release each time a feed occurs - ie if you are feeding frequently "Mother Nature" will assume you are busy enough with the current baby & wouldn't want another pregnancy to deal with.
Mine came back when DS was only waking once a night after a stretch of 6hrs for a few weeks. & it can take a while to settle down if feeding patterns are varying but once it gets regular it seems to stay

saffiw Wed 15-Oct-08 23:39:17

I exclusively breast fed dd and I started my periods when she was 6 weeks old ... which was nice!

LittleWeePickle Wed 15-Oct-08 23:40:03

My period came back after 9 months and 1 week! I was getting concerned about menopause (age 40) - but am preg again now (after 2 periods!)

I was half and half breast and bottle feeding from 6 months or so too, partly due to tiredness, and feeling that I wanted to have a period to feel that all was ticking over nicely.

Housemum Wed 15-Oct-08 23:46:11

And there was me so happy she's just sleeping through at 9 months, elvisgirl! Here's hoping the BF and Mirena together will see off Aunto Flo for a bit longer!

waitingtobloom Thu 16-Oct-08 11:27:09

DS = 5 weeks
DD = 4 weeks

Lochia finished each time by 2 weeks and definitely periods.

SO not fair!

noolia Thu 16-Oct-08 12:11:33

Cripes - dd 7 months and no periods yet!

beansontoast Thu 16-Oct-08 20:13:17

ineedsomesleep...i am also complelled to let you know that i am currently having my first period in two years grin

...and it is weird

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now