Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

breasstfeeding in public,

(36 Posts)
stitch Sat 05-Mar-05 10:01:33

i'm getting a bit sick of the whole bf bottlefeeding issue, and cant believe that the thread is still going strong.
anyways, someone was asking about feeding in public on one of the threads. ive fed my dd in the playground any number of times. no shawl, just lifted up my tshirt. you cant see the breast, but its very very obvious what i am doing. no one gives it a second glance. the boys continue to keep playing football, the moms keep chatting. ive asked moms for a drink if leftover in their kids lucnh bags, as bf makes me thirsty, particularly on hot afternoons.
ive never ever had any crap from anyone, and if they tried, ignore them.

misdee Sat 05-Mar-05 10:05:35

i use a blanket as atm am still remembering how to feed without seeing the whole boob. also its bloomin cold. so far with dd3 i have fed at a resturant and kids soft play area. as well as my sisters car.

moondog Sat 05-Mar-05 10:12:56

Me neither. Fed everywhere for oooh,over three years in total. Noone cares/looks/comments. Too busy with their own lives!

suzywong Sat 05-Mar-05 10:18:23

never had any crap at all whatsoever
I've fed on long haul flights next to non-parents, in every park in North London and never had any trouble at all.

Actually was quite disappointed when ds2 turned out no to be a snacker and stuck to regular bedroom feeds. But then I 'm obsessed about it

moondog Sat 05-Mar-05 10:22:07

D'you still think I'm Wig & Robe in disguise suzywong?!

suzywong Sat 05-Mar-05 10:22:58

shuddup!

marthamoo Sat 05-Mar-05 10:24:08

Suzywong will get her boobs out anywhere - even when she hasn't got a baby with her.

Suze, how could you think MD was W&R???

moondog Sat 05-Mar-05 10:24:17

oooooooohhkaaaayyyyyyy..

moondog Sat 05-Mar-05 10:25:07

In her defence, I did get a bit snotty.
Said sorry though...

suzywong Sat 05-Mar-05 10:26:33

I thought we were talking about people staring at our norks her, can we get back on track?

Oh ok then group hug

yoyo Sat 05-Mar-05 10:44:44

I once fed DD2 in a car park, in my car, and a man knocked the window and said it was a public place!! Carried on anyway.. That's the only time in 6.5 years of feeding that anyone has said anything to me though.

motherinferior Sat 05-Mar-05 11:40:02

No remarks here either. Quite galling, really, to think how unmemorable my bosoms clearly are.

wordgirl Sat 05-Mar-05 11:41:09

at that man yoyo

alux Sat 05-Mar-05 11:43:04

Yoyo: He deserved the finger! How dare he!!!!

moondog Sat 05-Mar-05 13:24:09

Yoyo!! Must have been a perv..

paolosgirl Sat 05-Mar-05 14:00:16

Totally agree with Alux...the middle finger was designed to be directed at anyone who objects to breastfeeding in public

marthamoo Sat 05-Mar-05 18:01:17

I never had any adverse comments either. I didn't mind feeding ds1 in public but ds2 was such a "faffy" baby to feed, and so easily distracted he quite often let go, leaving my baps on display for all the world to see I got very fast with the "top back down again" manoeuvre.

On the adverse comments bit though a friend of mine was feeding her dd in the park one day and an old bloke said to her "I wouldn't mind a go at that when the baby's finished." Euuuuuwwwwwwwwww

chipmonkey Sat 05-Mar-05 18:09:34

I was once feeding on a train and got a bit freaked out by a girl who seemed to be staring at me at. Then realised she and her friends were all blind. sooooo relieved I hadn't said anything snooty to her!

Beansmum Sat 05-Mar-05 18:17:03

I haven't had any comments from anyone, although I have had some strange looks now that ds is getting bigger. He's 9 months and it is getting a bit embarrassing feeding him in public, he doesn't want to miss out on anything so is constantly turning round to grin at people and dribbling milk all over me! also he kicks his legs around and has kicked total strangers on the train and on the bus.

trinityrocks Sat 05-Mar-05 18:19:43

I once got asked by a old lady in Wimpy to please do that somewhere private so as not to embarrass other people!!!!!!!!!!!!
I as politely as I could told her "would you please go and take your smallminded views elswhere so as not to annoy other people"

Waswondering Sat 05-Mar-05 18:27:47

The only comment I had was when I was feeding ds at the airport. I asked a BAA staff member if I was in the right place (to meet a flight) and she said no, but pointed to where I should go. I unlatched ds, gathered my stuff, and prepared to go to the other gate. Meanwhile the lady sitting behind me leapt up and said "you feed wherever you like! Don't let her tell you not to feed here!" I was very touched, and explained the error was mine. She was then a tad sheepish!!

But I appreciated her sticking up for me, nonetheless!!

HunkerMunker Sat 05-Mar-05 19:01:49

Message withdrawn

highlander Sat 05-Mar-05 21:42:41

I hate those websites that say you should promote the acceptibility of BF by being discreet in public. Bugger that

One of my biggest concerns about BF was the transition of my boobs from objects of sexual desire to milk factories. I don't give a damn now who sees them. I've never had any hassle, but I do tend to wear a permanent scowl on my face anyway

moondog Sat 05-Mar-05 22:12:53

Yeah me too highlander, but then I'm a miserable cow!!
What websites!!!?? (Visions of me being physically restrained 'No no, no Moondog!! You'll get arrested!!')
A letter in the ABM magazine today said that someone had written to 'Take a Break' comparing b/feeding to p*ing in public!!!

(But then, more fool her for reading bloody 'TAB'!)

milward Sat 05-Mar-05 22:37:58

bf everywhere no worries. Just got on with it. Always thought that a crying baby/toddler is more of an upset to others than one being happily bf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now