Talk

Advanced search

In the news- Breastfeeding, or rather not feeding helped mum spot cancer.

(13 Posts)
LittleMissBliss Mon 13-Oct-08 19:14:22

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1076916/Babies-wouldnt-breastfeed-helped-young-mother-detect-canc er.html

Just thought it may interest.

Divvy Mon 13-Oct-08 19:36:34

Gosh!

nickytwoooohtimes Mon 13-Oct-08 19:38:01

Lots of babies refuse one breast though, so I hope this article doesn't scare people needlessly.

LittleMissBliss Mon 13-Oct-08 19:56:20

better to scare people into a quick visit to the gp rather than to ignore and it be the worst outcome i reccon.

LittleMissBliss Mon 13-Oct-08 20:05:52

bump

Divvy Mon 13-Oct-08 21:42:04

Mind you, it is the daily mail hmm

LittleMissBliss Tue 14-Oct-08 09:19:13

what's the hmm for? They aren't going to make something like that up!

Divvy Tue 14-Oct-08 09:58:51

common sence

"Martin Ledwick, from Cancer Research UK, said: 'Breast cancer in women of this age group is extremely rare and difficulty in breastfeeding is not usually a warning sign.' "

Scaremongering

"'My babies obviously thought the milk tasted or smelt strange because of the breast cancer,"

This goes back to when "milk sours" during periods. It doesnt.

The dai;y mail is well known for its anit breasting attitude.

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 14-Oct-08 10:04:19

I am confused, so she thinks the breast cancer made her first baby refuse the breast yet it wasn't so virilant that nearly 3 years later

"doctors say they are confident that they have caught the disease in time to save her life."

oops Tue 14-Oct-08 10:16:10

Message withdrawn

LittleMissBliss Tue 14-Oct-08 11:42:18

This isnt anti bf though, if she hadn't tried to bf she may have to thought to have checked that breast for a lump. How do you not know that the milk didn't taste or smell weird because of the cancer in her breast?

LittleMissBliss Tue 14-Oct-08 11:43:05

The taste of the milk can change when you fall pregnant and babies can be put off feeding.

edam Tue 14-Oct-08 11:47:31

Very unusual story. Don't think any lessons can be drawn from it. And doubt it was cancer that caused her first baby to refuse the breast, otherwise she would have been dead long ago.

Basically, she found a lump three years after having baby no. 1 who refused to feed from one breast.

Glad she found the lump and got it checked out, obviously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now